1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bought a 2010 Prius II, new Prius owner

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by wheelsup, Sep 4, 2011.

1. wheelsup

wheelsup Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi everyone,

New here, we just bought a 2010 Prius II w/ 43k from a dealer. Price was a shade under $20,000 which has been the best we have come up with after months of searching. Despite the high miles for its age (18 months in use) we pulled the trigger and put a deposit down and will be picking it up when we can get to the bank next Friday for the certified check.

First question is, this car was operated as a rental car. I'm not too concerned, as the type of person renting a Prius would tend to drive rather responsibly IMO. But anyway, I am concerned about the warranty. The dealer stated it will have the remainder of the factory warranty on it, anyone know how I can verify this? What must be done in order to keep the factory warranty? Where would those records be kept? A central computer of some sort with Toyota?

Assuming we can get past that, we'll be picking it up on Friday. Can't wait!

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard wheelsup! Was the car Toyota Certified? The standard warranty should be transferable. If it is Certified there is additional warranty coverage. Of course should something go wrong, Toyota will want proof of maintenance and unless the car was serviced @ a dealer, it may not have the necessary records.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat. i wouldn't worry too much about the warranty. trust, but verify. as you can see by looking therough the threads here, prius is pretty much bulletproof. i like your take on prius renters, spot on. probably spend all their time trying to hit a hundred miles per!:)

4. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The regular warranty has expired since it is a 3 yr/36,000 mile warranty. Your hybrid and power train warranty is still in effect though. Unless you bought the Prius from a Toyota dealer and it is a certified used car, the regular warranty might be extended.

5. markrivers

markrivers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    First and foremost, congratulations on being a proud owner of the Prius.
    as others have asked already, you said you got it from a dealer. is it a Toyota Dealer? or a dealer that sells a lot of cars new and used, not just Toyotas.
    is the car a certified pre-owned? if it is, then it's like buying a new car except for the 3 yr/36,000 mile warranty.

enjoy your new ride.