1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bought my first Prius today - warranty question, please?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Julia2001, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Julia2001

Julia2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    new friends. :usa2:

I bought a 2007 Prius today with 66,000 miles on the clock.

I was offered a Toyota warranty (so-called "bumper to bumper) for $1800 to 100,000 miles.

I wasn't sure about it so I asked for some time to consider it. I can go back and purchase it next week if I want it, so I am wondering how folks here feel about this.

They were telling me, of course, that the Prius is a "high tech car" and that I would be wise to take the warranty, but I thought I'd come straight to the real experts for guidance. :)

Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

2. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Hybrid system is already waranteed for 100k miles.

Personally I wouldn't bother, we have a 2010 that is already out of regular warranty (44k miles in 2 years) and I have never taken it in for warranty work. I will admit that I did get suckered into the warranty though...it has been useless for me.

Others may have another story but I would put the 1800 aside if you have it and just pay for a repair if you need it.

Think of it this way, they are hedging a bet that a 4 year old car won't break so they can pocket your money. They have all the data on the reliability of the car, you don't...which is the smart bet?

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You don't have to buy the factory extended warranty at the dealer!
    In fact, I recommend that you don't buy one at all unless you're an unusually high mileage driver. If you do decide to get the "Diamond Plated" coverage----there are others who can sell you the factory extended warranty more cheaply. Somewhere even on this forum I think.
    I'm sure that Toyota will send you a 'last chance' offer to avail yourself of the factory extended warranty in a year or two.
    Save up and pay cash for it.

YMMV.....

4. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Unfortunatly with a used Prius, it's my understanding, that you have to buy it from the selling dealer. $1800 is alot for just over 30k. mi of coverage. I'd pass and save the $1800 if you ever need repairs.

5. Julia2001

Julia2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you all very much for your guidance. I appreciate it very much. All of your thoughts offered here make sense and I appreciate you pointing all of these things out to me.

Now if I can figure out how to program the bluetooth with my phone I'll be all set. ;-)

Thanks again, friends! I really appreciate your time. This Prius chat group is fantastic.

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OOPS!
    paprius4030 is right. I should have RTFP (read the freekin post).:p
    I was wrong about being able to purchase OEM coverage for this car at a later time!
    She/He is also right about $1800 being kinda high for 30K miles worth of coverage.
    Personally?
    I'd roll the dice, and give the extended coverage a pass.
    Good Luck!

7. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    wraps shouldn't cost more than 1k. If they do, the dealer is trying to make a killing.

The most common failures on the 2G Prius seem to be the engine water pump, inverter water pump and left axle seal. Together, those cost no more than $1500 to repair. Even then, not every car experiences all three of those failures.