1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bought one already... fyi

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by plusaf, Nov 14, 2011.

1. plusaf

plusaf plusaf

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just FYI, all, we just traded my wife's Camry XLE ('98) for a Prius V level 5. It's a LOT quieter than my '04 Prius and with only a few gallons through it, is averaging just a smidgeon under 40 mog for our first tankful.

She misses the power seats of the Camry, but has been studying the manuals and exploring the features and gizmos that are new to her. Like mine, once you see where the front windshield hits the bodywork, the rest of the front of the car is still invisible, so she's terrified of hitting something, which I consider a good thing.... :) .

The rear liftgate swings out more than the "regular Prius' one" which swings more UP than OUT, which makes it a new learning experience if you stand too close to the back when you open it. Or if you put the car too close to the garage door and aren't careful opening the lid.

New binnacle takes a little getting used to, too, as the speedo part is further to the right in the driver's view than in the '04, but we're getting used to that, too.

Older rear cargo net can be made to fit if you bend the metal tab a little.

Next project is to figure out how to disable the (*%$#%^& "I Agree" command on the NAV system. I'm spoiled, since I got the override from Coastal for my '04 about 50,000 miles ago.

Oh, and my '04 is just fine. We're budgeting to trade it on a new Prius when it turns 10 years old. I haven't been on this site for a long time because I haven't had much to add. Other than I did create a Yahoo Group for folks who want to tow trailers with their Prius... priustrailers : The Toyota Prius Can Tow a Trailer! . Enjoy!

2. amycat

amycat New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I just bought a v 5 too just 2 days ago. Do you mind sharing what price you paid for the base model 5 (no tech, no moon roof)? Thanks!

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats!

Wait what? The "I Agree" is back?? It was taken out with Disc 7.1. Well, not taken out but "I Agree" screen automatically goes away after a few seconds.

4. DragonflyDM

DragonflyDM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Plusaf, I just purchase my first Prius ever (my first new car ever) with the “v.” My old car was a 2002 Camry, which I still love.

My question is driving over 60mph. It is just because I am use to the more powerful and quiet Camry engine that I feel like I am just killing this car on the highway? It almost feels like I am driving (to use regular car speak) in 3rd gear doing 65mph (the speed limit).

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Really? I think someone showed via a scangauge that the car is "idling" at 1,900rpm at 55mph so it shouldn't be straining at all. The benefits of the PSD in the Prius is that the engine can run at a lower rpm than in a geared transmission.

6. DragonflyDM

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Part of it may be that I am just used to having a much more powerful engine in the Camry that just shoots you forward with no strain at all. By comparison the Prius does feel that it is holding you back a bit; HOWEVER, I drove it again last night and some of this may be do to the change in HOW you drive a gas car from a hybrid.

But late last night I had to get on the road and if you really ease into the speed it isn't bad until you get a hill and then you just can't avoid the high rpms.

Pennsylvania is a hilly place, even on the high way.

7. pvogel

pvogel '05 Five & '12 v

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Put it in power mode if you think it feels sluggish. You WILL give up MPG, but if you prefer it, it's worth it and your MPG will still be nearly double the Camry.

Peter+

8. DragonflyDM

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks pvogel, but I think it is just getting used to a car with no where near the power of a Camry. Living in Pennsylvania, it is hilly. I am continually needing to floor the gas to just keep it near the speed limit. Lots of 20-30 degree inclines where the stop light is at the bottom of the hill.

I’ll adjust but I am reading that the max capacity of the Prius is about 920 lbs. If I put my mother, father, daughter and I in the car that will be 750 lbs right there. I want to be confident I can still make it from the airport to the house 45 miles away in winter!!

9. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
  10. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    With extra weight and a short reduction gear than the Prius regular I'm sure you'll hear it whining going up hills.

You'll either get used to it, or get used to sarcastically petting the dashboard like my wife. :D

I'm sure it would really help mileage if you can drive with load a bit up those hills. Not always possible, but opportunities do arise.

11. DragonflyDM

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I am not sure what you mean. But I keep experimenting. I realize that if I lived in a flatter part of the country and wasn’t moving from the Camry (say I owned a Carolla or Yaris), I might not be so aware.

Overall, I am VERY happy with the purchase-- but I carry lots of camera gear and I do put lots of people in my car (a reason why I waited for the v)-- so I start running these horror simulations where I am driving up some steep hill on the turnpike and I will be like the semi trucks driving up the hills at 2 miles an hour.

When I lived in Italy years ago, my boss rented me this 500cc Twingo. There were times when the two of us in the car with camera gear could have walked up the hill faster than the car would drive when floored. It would be a shame to live that experience again.

12. plusaf

plusaf plusaf

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have the exact number in mind, but it was somewhere around $32k, i think. leather, NAV, 17" rims, stuff like that. pretty well loaded. I had to make up for some missing features of her Camry... Lack of power seats is still annoying, but the tilt/telescope helped a little... :)

13. plusaf

plusaf plusaf

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

the Camry, if it's like the '98 XLE we replaced with the V, the overally ratio in the Camry is high for great off-the-line performance, much faster than the '97 Taurus i had at the time, but the overall ratio in the Taurus was lower, so it turned something like 1000 rpm lower at 65+ mph and actually beat the Camry in highway mpg's by two or three!

tradeoff!

check my priustrailers group at yahoo groups to see how many folks have put luggage and more into a Prius, then attached a trailer and still got wherever they wanted to go just fine.

my '04 Prius has been across the US five times with the trailer and usually turned about 33 mpg on average, for the crossings. 44 was normal for overall around-town other than that, without the trailer.

use right hand pedal, have fun.

14. DragonflyDM

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks..that was great advice. I have looked at some people's Prii with trailers (one of the reasons why I purchased too).

15. plusaf

plusaf plusaf

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ok, found the paperwork. we bought it with a loan and the loan is just under $39k. Considering the '04 should have come it at a bit under $30k other than my impatience to get it on the road and overpaying about $5k or more, that's not TOO bad of an increase, in my opinion, over ten years or so, and considering the new model had just appeared on the dealers' lots. ours was the second one they sold, and they closed another seven in the following week or two!

it ran around 40mpg on the first tank... my wife finally needed a fill-up after a month of driving... twice as long as for her Camry, and was also pleased that she "only" needed 10 gallons or so for the fill-up... less time pumping gas, and time is nice to have, too!

and i get to drive it once in a while, too... when i'm a good boy.
    :)

16. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Well, I am a new Prius v Five owner myself. Used to own a Nissan Sentra GXE 96 model. Since the Sentra I had was a 4 cyl engine, the 'strain' or the sound of the engine is about the 'same' to me. I don't think you are killing the engine, you are just noticing the difference between a 4 cyl from a 6 cylinder engine if the Camry had a v6 engine versus a 4 cyl engine.

As some of them have said, you will hear the strain because the Electric motor and the 4 cyl aren't going to be nearly the same as the 6 cyl ( I am also going off the wiki assuming that the 98 was outfitted with a v6 (6 cyl engine) versus a diesel or a 4 cyl engine)

One other thing, since your car is similar to my old Nissan, roughly in age, the other thing you will probably notice is that the Camry, as an Automatic, probably was not a CVT type transmission. So you will notice it doesn't feel nearly like your old car to begin with.

While I am no expert and this is also my first Hybrid car (Only had it for 3 days so far), I can tell you, the difference is going to be getting used to the feel of the car compared to being in a gas engine car due to the fact the car will focus more on the Electric Engine initially, but also the gas engine on a 'lower' push on long hauls. The gas engine will give the harder push on acceleration, but once at speed, the momentum is just 'carried' by both the electric and gas engine, which doesn't require as much power, just the initial push to get going.

One thing to note, is that the way the car will recharge the battery is done two ways... One, the Gas Engine will recharge the battery when in idle state and the battery is at a certain level. Two, Regenerative braking and downhill breaking provides recharging as well, meaning you don't have the engine be the sole power regen.

Weight wise, yes, this will make your car work a little harder to accelerate, but again, with your hills, the judicious use of braking and also the 'B' breaking on down hills will allow for assistance.

17. plusaf

plusaf plusaf

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

one other thing i noticed when i drove my wife's V compared to my '04 Prius and memories of other cars i've driven... the V seems to have a slower "tip-in" i think was the term, to pressing on the accellerator pedal.

"very little happens" during the first half inch or more of pressing on the pedal, and that took me a bit of "getting used to."

my '04 responds much more quickly to less pressure.

now, i can guess that, since there's no mechanical connection between either car's "gas pedal" and the actual injection systems, and that it's all computer controlled,... well, i like the programming of mine more than hers.

bottom line is: if you think the V is more sluggish off the line, that "slow tip in" might be part of the feeling.

in the old carbureted days, the mechanical linkages varied a lot, and some owners would brag that "i just touch the gas and it takes off like a rocket..."

well, a lot of that was due to the geometry of how and where the gas pedal linkage connected to the carburetor's throttle! now it's all buried in some chip's programming.

18. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Well, I think a lot of people are used to older systems. I forget when the CVT type transmissions started coming in. I know with my older car, I was used to the slight 'jerkiness' when it switched gears and it was an Automatic. I was also used to having an overdrive button for highway, so would have to turn it on when getting on and turning it off as I get off the highway (Although forgetting more to turn it off than on)

I was listening to some of the 'how to' videos with regards to the car and the mentioning that having Eco Mode on will affect the throttle response in favor of the fuel saving.