1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bought Package 7 and now I wish I bought package 9

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bil7y, Nov 6, 2004.

1. bil7y

bil7y New Member

Ok so I am 7700 miles into my 04 Silver Package 7 and I am really wishing I had invested in the dvd nav and bluetooth features. Has anybody ever investigated and/or actualy upgraded these features with aftermarket gear? Better yet with Toyota OEM parts? Thanks and let me know.

2. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This question has come up before. From what I know, you can't upgrade as an aftermarket installation because the components are hard wired into the car when it's assembled. The steering wheel is wired for the GPS as is the whole MFD. Your second best bet would be a portable GPS unit, say a Garmin 296 or equivalent, which would work pretty well and have the advantage of being unattached to the car so you could take it hiking, sailing, flying, etc. In some respects, the Garmin has a better accuracy track record than the GPS units in the Prius.
    I'm a flight instructor and initally thought the GPS was really cool, although I knew I couldn't afford the extra 5k for the option 9 package. My thought was that if I felt I really needed a GPS in my car, I would go for a Garmin, which has both land and air data bases. Also, the Garmin can be programmed while the car is in motion (by your co-pilot, of course) while the GPS in the Prius cannot be programmed by either you or the passenger when the car is moving.
    Let us know if you find a solution to your problem. It could be worse; at least you have a Prius. You might, oddly enough, be able to find someone with a package 9 willing to trade down if you paid him/her the difference.
    Bob

3. DanH

DanH New Member

Another Garmin to consider is the 2620. ( http://www.garmin.com/products/sp2620/ ) This unit can be had as several places for around $1200. It is mainly for car usage.That unit as detailed maps loaded on it on a hard drive. I have seen a couple on this board that have them and they really love it. There is also an similar unit by Magellan and Cobra.

As far the sound system in a BC, your better off upgrading the speakers and maybe add an amp and subwoofer as well.

And as far as the mirror goes it looks like you can add it yourself or have a dealer do it. http://www.priuschat.com/forums/dimminghom...ighlight=mirror There seems to be some question about the airbags, but it seems a dealer did put one on a #7.

4. rmm20

rmm20 New Member

I really recommend the Garmin 2610 over the 2620.

The 2610 comes with full PC support software;
    you can plan your trips on the PC.

A 2gig flashcard in the 2610 will hold the full map set, like the 2620,
    and is not prone to vibration failure like a hard drive.

The 2610 is also cheaper.

The 2620 seems to be marketed to computer-phobes that
    never want to use maps on the PC.

I own the 2620 and wish I had gotten the 2610...

Robert

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would like to put a word in for the Garmin iQue. It is a combination PDA and navigator. 2 down sides a bit smaller screen and it really needs to be plugged in to use the navigator as that depletes the battery rather quickly. It has all the features including voice direction and the PDA stuff is intergraded so you can look someone up and get directions to their address. I like mine and still use it when I fly somewhere and rent a car.

6. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I am in the same boat. I put a post 3-4 months ago asking anyone willing to trade a # 9 for 7 for extra money but, have not recieved any offers yet. Thje thing I like the most in #9 is the 6CD sound system. From what I have seen and read, if you have a dealer add it at port(or later), they install a second CD player under the original one in the plastic storage area :( Ofcourse, I also love the GPS and bluetooth and Homelink etc.