1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bought used 2007 prius with 50K miles.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by himmatwala, May 17, 2010.

1. himmatwala

himmatwala Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think the dealer fooled me. He said that the car has Package II and I believed him. The problem is that do not see the VSC light on the dashboard ever. I can see all the lights but not the VSC.

I think it is Package I which is without VSC.

Now, my question is, how safe it is to drive the car without VSC especially in Winter? I live in Chicago area.

What are the options available for me.

2. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Someone has a master list of all the packages/options.. but IIRC one easy way to distinguish a GenII Package 1 is that it is the only package with no backup camera.

Given that we survived for many decades without VSC-type systems, I would think it is safe to drive the car in winter without VSC, presuming that you keep to a speed that is reasonable for the conditions.

3. himmatwala

himmatwala Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The confusing part is that I do have the backup camera as well as the AUX input.

4. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you have Smart key than you have a package 2

5. himmatwala

himmatwala Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, I do have a smartkey. But looking at the different package and options here. motortrend.com/cars/2007/toyota/prius/base_hatchback/324/packages_options/index.html

My prius has package 1. It does not have VSC. Just wanted to be sure.Correct me?

Thanks

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you don't see the VSC light appear when you make the car IG-ON (where all dashboard instrument panel warning lights turn on) then you are right, your car doesn't have VSC.

Regarding your question about safety in the Chicago winters, I advise you purchase four winter tires for use during snow season. Good luck.

7. himmatwala

himmatwala Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for replying. I will pacrchase winter tires before winter. Is it possible to upgrade to package 2.

8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't think that would be very cost-effective. Looks like your car is missing the front seat side airbags and the curtain airbags, as well as VSC.

You can confirm the missing airbags by looking for cloth labels on the front seats that show the presence of the side airbag, and for an inscription on the inside of the A-pillar and C-pillar trim plastic that shows an SRS system label. If you don't see these labels then your car doesn't have those airbags.

Regarding the lack of VSC, I do not know whether parts are removed, or whether the skid control ECU has some sort of logical switch within to disable that functionality.

9. himmatwala

himmatwala Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wong,

I have checked and am sure that my car has front seat side airbags and curtain airbags. It has all other options except the VSC.

This is the excerpt form edmunds.com

Safety
    Every 2007 Toyota Prius comes standard with antilock brakes with brake assist, traction control, front-seat side airbags and full-length side curtain airbags. Stability control is a package option. In NHTSA crash tests, Toyota's hybrid car earned four stars out of five for driver and front-passenger protection in frontal impacts. In side-impact testing, it earned five stars for front-occupant protection and four stars for the rear. In IIHS testing, the Prius earned the top rating of "Good" for its protection in frontal-offset and side-impact crashes.

10. prscht

prscht Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    could it be that the dashboard VSC indicator bulb burnt out?

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Can the VIN be used to answer OP's question ?

12. direstraits71

direstraits71 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just looked at the '07 Prius brochure .pdf which has been posted before on this site. The package designations were different than '08, '09. For '07 Package 1 has the auxiliary audio jack, Smart Key, backup camera and the side airbags in the front seats and no VSC. Package 2 added the VSC. So unless its a burned out indicator, looks like you have an '07 Package 1.

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  14. himmatwala

himmatwala Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
  15. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You will easily lose thousands of dollars if you sell it.

16. himmatwala

himmatwala Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, I know I will be loosing money but isn't it better than loosing life :)

just kidding.

I bought this car used for approx 12k. How much will I loose?

17. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Although VSC is nice to have, it is true that most drivers in winter weather have managed to survive, prior to its invention. I'd give the car a try this winter, before deciding it is time to move on.

18. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The only thing that I'm aware of that you will not be able to do is transport dangerous goods in Quebec, which I believe now requires some sort of stability control.

I drive in winter etc and the only time my vsc has activated was when I still had the pos integrities on when a sloppy wet snow hit the day before I put the Blizzaks on.

19. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Without the VSC you simply have to actually know how to drive.

Invest $200 in taking a defensive driver course with a skidcar. I've driven a skidcar and its fun and very educational. Its a car with 4 hydraulics controlled by the instructor. You drive it out onto a course and the instructor can simulate oversteer and understeer in different situations and teach you how to bring the car out of those skids. I think every driver in America should be required to have such training, having it made me want to go further and take additional driver training which I have.

Once you actually know how to get yourself out of situations that can cause you to loose control...you don't need the VSC. Much cheaper than selling your Prius for a loss.

1 person likes this.
  20. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You may have 2006 with pkg 3.