1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bought used 2013 Prius, driver side door won't open with key fob

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by msuanderson, Oct 3, 2016.

1. msuanderson

msuanderson New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey guys! I'm new here but totally pumped to be a Prius owner. I drove almost 2 hours to pick up my Prius yesterday and imagine my surprise when I got home and realized the driver side door does not open with the key fob. My excitement quickly became dismay while I did some googling to figure out what it could possibly be. Everything points to the door lock actuator. I took the Prius in to my local Toyota dealership today to have them inspect it and of course they confirmed it was the actuator and gave me a quote of $400+. I'm looking around on here and I see there are some cheap fixes, but I don't think I'm technically capable or comfortable trying to replace the actual motor inside the actuator. However I do feel comfortable replacing the actuator itself. Now I feel like this should be fairly simple, I see tons of walkthroughs on removing the door panel and I've installed a head unit and speakers in my old 05 honda civic.

I guess my question is, is it as simple as it seems? I'd much rather pay around $100 for the part and do it myself than pay $400. The quote provided for me by the dealer lists part # 69030-47060...but that seems to be for the right door which indicates passenger to me? I believe 69040-47060 should be the driver side door which is the one I need replaced? I see one on ebay for $60.99 which seems incredibly reasonable!

Thanks for any help, I greatly appreciate it!!!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Seems a bit premature to fail so quickly. Did you inspect the wiring?

uberfraud and msuanderson like this.
  3. msuanderson

msuanderson New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I kind of thought the same, but it seems somewhat common? It has 69k miles on it. I have not removed the door yet to inspect the wiring. I guess that would be a good start!

4. EddyKilowatt

EddyKilowatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I put one of the $60 EBay ones (rebuilt, from Actuators Plus) in an '08 over the weekend... works fine, and seemed to be an exact replacement for the failed one that I removed. Not trivial to R&R, but, clearly easier than R&R and opening up the actuator for motor replacement surgery... would definitely go this route next time.

msuanderson likes this.
  5. msuanderson

msuanderson New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Awesome, thanks Eddy! I figure what do I have to lose? I'm gonna go ahead and pull the trigger on ordering it so hopefully I get it before the weekend is here and I can have a little project!

6. msuanderson

msuanderson New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Whoops, double post!