1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

bought XLE camry 2012 hybrid

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by sambb, Feb 18, 2012.

1. sambb

sambb New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And I am very impressed
    I thought the prius was too slow for my style of driving
    I am not a hypermiler, just a commuter, and I frequently need some more power for highway passing
    First drive today:40.6mpg
    Glad I went with it instead of prius, thought it was nice also
    Coming from long line of german luxury/sports sedans

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Congrats! Keep us posted on your experiences. I'm sorta', kinda', kicking the idea around of an LE myself.

3. cap160

cap160 Older Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'll be interested in your periodic reports, I to have given some thought to a Camry Hybride.
    Thanks in advance!

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Congrats, I drove an XLE Hybrid Camry (2012) last year at the PiP unveiling and it was a great car to drive. We all kept saying how much you got for the money, as well as very impressive MPGs. Good luck with it!

5. DBV

DBV New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats!!!! Will be interested in hearing how your mpg is.

6. sambb

sambb New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Initial observations:
    I bought the loaded XLE (sticker was >34k)
    It has HDD entune, nav, blind spot monitor (love that options), leather, etc.

Interior is very luxurious and big - it reminds me of a lexus
    Acceleration is brisk - 0-60 in just over 7 seconds
    MPG with mix of highway and city is right at 40
    No hypermiling, and I speed a little to confess

Downside: trunk is small compared to a prius V. It fits my needs, but if you want cargo room, you better check the trunk out. It isn't small... but it is much smaller than other cars of this size. Compare it to a non-hybrid camry.

Here is the amazing thing, though. The LE hybrid is probably the sweet spot, the XLE loaded is more of a luxury car.

I am coming from driving several BMWs and mercedes prior to that. I am very pleased with this car. In the XLE form, it fits as a luxury sedan and with the hybrid, I like the MPG. I did not consider the LE version or stripped down version, as I like and enjoy the luxury features. For those wanting basic sedan transport, the non-hybrid LE can be had for 21k-22k, which is a deal in my opinion. Hard to beat that price.

The car is very refined. I can barely hear the engine. It goes into EV mode all the time.

Will leave more impressions.

I liked the prius a lot, but it was hard for me to go from luxury and sports sedans to the prius V. I wanted a more traditional look, and the standard luxury things.

The range on the car, when it was filled up, was >690 miles according to the trip computer. Seems to be accurate. I have put on 125 miles, and the fuel gauge is still above the F mark.

Lastly, MPG is not the end game for me. For me, it was MPG in a luxury sedan with all the creature comforts. That brought me to the XLE camry. Hope this all makes sense.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what luxury features does the lxe give you over the le? someone mentioned you don't get illuminated vanity mirrors without the sunroof?

8. sambb

sambb New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    try to find a loaded LE hybrid with leather, BSM, entune, sunroof, homelink, nav, jbl, heated seats, etc.

I couldnt find one anywhere

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well, it's still early in the game.

10. OlyCam

OlyCam New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have had my XLE for a week and I love this car. I test drove the new Prius 4 and the Camry and much preferred the Camry. The Prius lagged just a second or so when you accelerate from a stop and I thought that it would ultimately be annoying. I also prefer the styling of the Camry. For the money, I considered the LEXIS CT400, but you get much more with the XLE.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the LE Hybrid has no options so you're stuck with what they offer on the LE (which doesn't even include Display Audio. It has a standard one-liner LCD radio headunit).

The XLE has as standard or optional, Display Audio w/ Nav, HDD nav with 7" split-screen, Entune, JBL GreenEdge Audio, power moonroof, leather/ultrasuede seats, 17" alloys (vs. 16" steel rims w/ wheelcovers), Blind Spot Monitor, foglights with chrome surround among other things.

Congrats!

I echo Mark's comment. We were thoroughly impressed with the Camry Hybrid during our test drive last year. Fantastic brakes, quiet & composed ride and spacious interior.

12. sambb

sambb New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the Prius, the V, and the camry hybrid are all very different cars. I had them all at the dealer, deciding on which to buy. I have been thinking about the V for a month or two. But, I just like a normal looking sedan, and the very spacious interior. The blind spots REALLY bothered me in both prii.
    In the end, however, it was the idea that I liked the luxuries of the XLE camry over all the other options. The discount was fabulous also.

I find it ironic that the camry has BSM, but the prii dont.... and the prius V really needs it IMHO.

That being said, i think ALL the hybrids are great. They are the future. I am really excited about the camry hybrid. I wish there were more active discussions on it.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've been wishing that since we got our 08!

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If I'm not mistaken, this is Toyota's first BSM. I don't think it was offered on any Lexus models.

The Prius therefore carry the tech goodies such as PCS, DRCC, APGS and Solar Roof. In Canada, the Prius is the only Toyota in a long mile with DRCC/PCS. The next Toyota up is the 2013 GS or 2012 RX450h at near Cdn$70,000! (We don't have the option on the ES or IS or gas RX versions).

15. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    does the xle have DRCC and PCS options?

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, just BSM.

17. sambb

sambb New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, it doesnt thank goodness, or the MSRP would even be higher with all the options. (MSRP of prius V with AT is high!) I had similar to DRCC in my other cars and never used it.

I really like the power of the camry hybrid. Has a good hp amount.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    half way thru our current tank, our 08 is getting 39 mpg (mfd) in 30 to 45 degree weather, all 1 to 5 mile trips, very little highway. i'm hoping the gen II will be much better or i may have to wait for fusion.

19. Chuckanut

Chuckanut New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the information. I have been looking at either the Prius V wagon or the Camry hybrid. I am tall and fit in the Camry, not so sure about the Prius V wagon.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    go with camry, very comfortable for tall/large people.