1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bouncing baby olive!

Discussion in 'Prius Owner Photos' started by queued, Jul 18, 2006.

1. queued

queued New Member

Just before the heatwave hits our bouncing baby black olive arrived (actually, a deal fell through and we had open arms and a check!).

(No, the Clampetts don't live here, we're painting....[attachmentid=4190]

2. mike_m

mike_m New Member

Car looks good. It would look better parked in front of your "cement pond" :lol: Welcome to the club!

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Congrats.

Fabulous house. Same circa as mine. What kind of built ins do you have inside? Fireplace? How high are the ceilings?

I bought my 1919 house in 1987 and have been working on it ever since. Haven't posted any pics lately so you won't see the cherry entertainment center I had built into the livingroom underneath the front window or the china cabinet I had built in to the bay window in the dining room, but there are plenty of before and after pics. The bathroom, kitchen, hallway and master bedroom were added on in 1949 but most of the remodel didn't touch the rest of the house. I only had one original light fixture that was broken when the house was tented before I moved in. I've bought vintage light fixtures. My ceilings are about 9 feet. There's no fireplace but I do have a detached double car garage off the alley behind that has a half bath in it. Very convenient. And a nice sized front and back yard.

Money Pit

4. queued

queued New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 18 2006, 10:55 AM) [snapback]288246[/snapback]</div>
    Our is 1923, 8' ceilings but an empty upstairs. We made the second story a master bedroom, added a shed dormer for a bathrm....then blew the whole deal by having kids ("that's a joke, son"). Came with original tile in one bathrm and kitchen, original frpl. with tile, and this is NOT original paint altho it looks that way. We've waited longer on the roofers, painters and gutterguys than for the Prius.
    That's Portland. Have sun, must remodel. Everyone's slammed. Great excuse for a drive!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mike_m @ Jul 18 2006, 10:22 AM) [snapback]288222[/snapback]</div>
    Feels great! As you can see here in Portland no one waters during the summer (we're being slayed by high sewer bills), so don't we all look purdy!
    java script:emoticon(':p',%20'smid_5')

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(queued @ Jul 18 2006, 05:02 PM) [snapback]288427[/snapback]</div>
    :p :p (emoticon challenged)

5. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    w00t! Congratulations!

If it bounces too much, bricks in the trunk will help.

Tell me about escalating sewer bills. Now we've gotta work on a way to recycle our own graywater (and whatnot). :p

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Black Olive is a name I haven't heard before - something new!

On the subject of houses, I can commiserate. Mine's a 1939 (we're the third owners!) that feels like it will never be fully restored. Most of it is original, including light fixtures, glass door knobs, and hardwood floors. Paint is the least of my concerns at this point, much to the consternation of my neighbours. It has more character than class, but we're working on that.

7. tyrael

tyrael Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Black is beautiful when shiny and new!!!

8. queued

queued New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Jul 20 2006, 02:08 PM) [snapback]289590[/snapback]</div>

:eek: Yesterday we found out the sewer line must be replaced due to a rupture....the tip off to that pleasant notions are the RAT HOLES IN THE FRONT YARD! Lovin' these old "full-of-character" houses. Full of something....

9. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Jul 20 2006, 05:08 PM) [snapback]289590[/snapback]</div>
    You guys have it easy, maintaining those nice, new houses! Mine was built in 1875! (gives me something to do when I get caught up working on the boats!)

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(queued @ Jul 21 2006, 08:58 AM) [snapback]289909[/snapback]</div>
    Are you sure they have to replace it? Sometimes they can line it. Just as good and a lot cheaper.

11. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, now that we've turned this thread into a house discussion...

Not to discount Godiva's advice, but lining tends to be less permanent than complete replacement. Depending how long you expect to be in this particular house, you'll have to compare the costs and expected lifespans of the options.

I had hoped to reline our drain tiles, but a test dig soon told us that wouldn't work. We're still rebuilding all the landscaping, but this past winter was the first year the basement *didn't* flood!

12. queued

queued New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Jul 21 2006, 11:20 AM) [snapback]290041[/snapback]</div>
    I gotta sleep at night. That means no thoughts of rats (!) or basement bacvkups(!!). We have to excavate no matter what, why not have 75 years of peace of mind? We're getting a new roof, new water line, hopefully I'll be nagging the kids from a retirement condo I bought with the equity!