1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Boy risks suspension to join Girl's Bowling Team

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by SteveS, Nov 9, 2005.

1. SteveS

SteveS New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A seventeen year old boy is risking suspension because he wants to bowl.

That's right. His school provides only girl's bowling, but Paul Rofus, who is a college-bound senior, an athlete, and an honor student, is obviously a boy.

However, rules put in place to allow girls to play on boy's teams don't go both ways.

More information on the story, my commentary, and contact information for relevant officials can be found on my blog:
    http://stevesanderlin.blogspot.com/2005/11...tand-up_09.html

Reverse discrimination is as bad, if not worse, than the original crime - because it punishes those who had no ability to change the events they are being punished for.

What would you do if this was your child? Come, read, chat, and support Paul Rofus.

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What stuff. The school has completely handled this the wrong way. First off, they should be encouraging and supporting people that are willing to make a stand on a reasonable issue, such as this. Instead what do they do? They get up in his face and threaten him with suspension for showing up to a bowling alley. They could at least be supportive and say "yeah, it's a load of crap. Let's see what we can do to change the statutes". Instead of creating an outstanding example of how to get things changed they've managed to teach a quaint lesson in conformity. Wankers.

3. SteveS

SteveS New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think the most salient thing to notice is that schools always (at least when I was a kid, I imagine it's even more so now) teach that you should stand up for what you believe, be your own person, and do what you think is right.

It's funny how when you disagree with them, that attitude changes to add, "As long as you don't disagree with us".

Schools are just conformity factories. Nothing more.

Wankers is a very appropriate term for them.

4. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Federal law says otherwise.
    The school will certainly lose this lawsuit.
    Even back when I was in high school, allowing boys' participation on girls teams where the equivalent activity was not available for the boys was a legal requirement.

5. SteveS

SteveS New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Apparently they developed those rules with the state's DOE to comply with Title XX (or whatever it is)... I do not know.

They still haven't struck down affirmative action in general... I'm not so sure.

6. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I'd run him over with my Prius (just to keep this relevant) and then tell him to go join a bowling league somewhere, and find a better way to try to get laid.

rpm

7. SteveS

SteveS New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    LMAO

8. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Edit: My previous comment was inappropriate and I have removed it. I apologize if anyone was offended.

9. tag

tag Senior Member

No need for anything as radical as sex reassignment surgery.

I think the school should just tell the kid he can join the team. He's going to quit after he discovers there's no "beer frame", anyway.

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is one of those stupid little things that's bigger and more important than it looks. If girls can play on the boy's teams, then boys should be able to play on the girl's teams. There are locker room issues with some teams, but not bowling. Even if the kid is just trying to get laid, I give him extra points for innovation.

This reminds me of the story about the kid who was suspended from school for wearing a pepsi shirt on coca cola day.

11. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

I'd bet the school doesn't maintain a set of locker rooms per team and that it has a boys' locker room. :p

12. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Common sense is not all that common. My university transcripts read "women's swim team" for several semesters. I did not compete, but I and several other males, worked out with the women's swim team. This was not fluff. Several female swimmers were Olympic caliber. We had an opportunity to stay in shape, the workouts were more fun for everyone and my and other male's transcripts read "women's swim team" for several semesters all because the men's swim coach was not accomodating to either men or women.

The very same people who insist on using bizarre judgment and lack of critical thinking will also tell you that bicycles, skis and certain activities have sex. Yeh, right, when you find two bicycles having sex, please call me, I want to take a photograph.

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If sense were common, everybody would have it.

14. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So *that's* how we got so many bicycles in the basement. Will it help to keep them on opposite sides of the room?

15. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, I *totally* misread the subject as possibly meaning some
    kid that, I do not know, drove a Prius over a curb or up rocky dirt
    roads to somehow get to where he could sign up for a girls'
    bowling team. With the OEM tires at 44 psi all round, that
    would certainly present some risk to the components that hold
    the car off the ground...
    _H*

16. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

If they have horns, you may have to chain them as well. :p

17. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    'cause they're horny, right? :lol:

18. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Wuz I too subtle? :D

19. davedog

davedog Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    haha, most public bathrooms are just as sexist. but people don't mind that. tsktsk =)

20. SteveS

SteveS New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    :) Segregation of the sexes isn't the point... the point is that there's an enforced rule of "what we can do you can't nyah nyah" going on here...

and, in a lovely example of Irony, this whole thing is to supposedly "make up" for girls not being allowed to participate.

Hm.

Funny how it's OK for discrimination to exist when it benefits you, but not the other way around.

That's real equality. Yep.

Wankers.