1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BP (big pollutor) amoco

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by akorovesis, Jul 16, 2007.

1. akorovesis

akorovesis New Member

thank you indiana for the increase of ammonia and sludge into the nation's largest freshwater source, and my potable water source. boycott BP if you can - i doubt we'll see any major drop in gas prices (even seeing as chicago has the highest in the nation right now). these days using "economic benefit" is the magic password that allows this administration and large corporations to do just about anything. and what is with the EPA agreeing that this project would not harm the environment???

BP gets break on dumping in lake
    Refinery expansion entices Indiana

By Michael Hawthorne
    Tribune staff reporter
    Published July 15, 2007

The massive BP oil refinery in Whiting, Ind., is planning to dump significantly more ammonia and industrial sludge into Lake Michigan, running counter to years of efforts to clean up the Great Lakes.

Indiana regulators exempted BP from state environmental laws to clear the way for a $3.8 billion expansion that will allow the company to refine heavier Canadian crude oil. They justified the move in part by noting the project will create 80 new jobs.

Under BP's new state water permit, the refinery -- already one of the largest polluters along the Great Lakes -- can release 54 percent more ammonia and 35 percent more sludge into Lake Michigan each day. Ammonia promotes algae blooms that can kill fish, while sludge is full of concentrated heavy metals.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/services/new...1,3504527.story

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  3. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is receiving mass attention around these parts. There are petitions being circulated by the Chicago Park District. Here's to hoping that all of the negative attention puts a close to this matter. For all our Congressman (Kirk) is doing to protect our waters, he's probably up in arms.

I've been purchasing all of my gas from BP as they appear to be the most progressive option in terms of their environmental policy. It's clear that there is no "good" option. Unfortunately.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gonegreen @ Jul 16 2007, 09:26 AM) [snapback]479567[/snapback]</div>
    The EPA is a misnomer. Maybe we should bottle this untreated water for their drinking supply.

4. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Kirk is stepping up. He's introduced a bill that will deny a tax credit to any firms that pollute our Great Lakes in excess of their 2006 levels.

Evidently, BP was eligible for a tax credit that would cover their cost of the refinery expansion by 50%. This bill would disqualify them for the credit. So if they want to increase their pollution as a result of the refinery expansion, they're going to have to pay big time.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm not happy about this either, since we live on the other end of Lake Michigan. Indiana has the smallest amount of shoreline on Lake Michigan of any of the lake states, yet causes the most pollution. Look at Gary! What a h*ll hole that place has been over the years. I wish Indiana would step up and show some responsibility.

Tom

6. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It was just reported that our beaches have the most hazardous form of asbestos present and the asbestos is en route along our shoreline. This was a byproduct of the power plant that had been operating in Zion. What's a little more mercury, ammonia and sludge thrown in the mix?

If you happen to want to enjoy your local beach around here, just don't disturb the sand.

7. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  8. orracle

orracle Whaddaya mean "senior" member?

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Aug 9 2007, 03:06 PM) [snapback]493165[/snapback]</div>
    Senator Durbin has been heading a fight with BP too. Mayor Daily is also on the warpath.

9. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Some good news on this issue...

Full article

10. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Got wind of their position this morning. Excellent. I guess there's still a concern that the permit legally allows for excess dumping and that if left in place, precedence would be established for other potential polluters. The next step is to amend the permit to the lower allowed pollution limits to alleviate future concern for our lakes.

11. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    One of the things that they're dumping in the lake is ammonia. About a 1000 lbs/day. I'm surprised that they can't sell it. It must not be purified and mixed with other stuff. Seems like a waste.