1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BP's Green Gas Station

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by thecan, Mar 2, 2007.

1. thecan

thecan New Member

Hey everyone! I thought this was interesting as it is by my work. Check out my blog for the full story and photos.

http://www.uber.com/mypage/blogs/?entity_i...&blog_id=21

The Helios House, dubbed by BP, once known as British Petroleum, is the nations first certifiably green gasoline station. And from the corner of Robertson and Olympic in West Hollywood, it definitely appears that the future has arrived. A canopy of thin metal recyclable stainless steel forms the cave-like structure. When you enter the driveway underneath the station, you notice bits of recycled glass embedded into the concrete, which as our BP spokesperson noted, gives increased lighting inside the gas station when the sun shines on it and helps dissipate heat better than just regular asphalt. The things you can’t see about the structure, most notably the 90 solar panels on the roof along with a rainwater collector helps lower electricity consumption for the station as well as provide water for the surrounding landscaping.

[​IMG]

Matt.

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What else? Does it only dispense gas?

Does it also dispense ethanol, natural gas and other alternative fuels? Does it have several EV charging stations too?

Ford has a fuel station at El Cajon Blvd and Hwy 15 in San Diego that has all that. But I don't know if they have solar panels on the roof or recycle water.

3. jimnjo

jimnjo Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thecan @ Mar 2 2007, 09:19 PM) [snapback]399349[/snapback]</div>
    A few years ago the CEO of Brithish Petrol suggested that their goal was to be redifined as 'Beyond Petroleum.' The solar panels on the roofing was one part of that and I have been looking for it to actually happen!
    Jim

4. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Certainly a lot of research and effort went into this BP Eco station. Hopefully alternative fuels to come.

Click to see how it's being done:

http://www.bp.com/sectiongenericarticle.do...ntentId=7028330

"BP's station does use alternative energy sources like wind and solar..."

"It's made of recycled glass and crushed waste. It uses solar energy and has a green roof. There is a cell phone recycling facility on the premises. The toilet seats are made of post-industrial aluminum scrap."

"This BP gas station flaunts green practices like low wattage overhead lighting, LEDs on the pumps and signs, and light sensing automatic switches. The green roof decreases the need for AC and water filters in the drains protect the ocean from oil or gasoline. Overall, the station uses 16% less energy than the typical station."

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius