1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bra Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TurkeyButt, May 13, 2007.

1. TurkeyButt

TurkeyButt New Member

I would like to know where you got your 3M Clear Bras. What kit did you get and did you install it or have it done? If you had it installed where did you go (Toyota dealer?), and how much did it cost?

Thanks for the help,

Julie

2. amtrak115

amtrak115 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

3. pola

pola New Member

with the Venture-shield, do you have to remove it and clean it and the car underneath, every few months ?
    thanks,

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pola @ May 13 2007, 06:36 PM) [snapback]441278[/snapback]</div>
    http://www.ventureshield.com/ is the manufacturer's site. It looks like it is a permanent addition. Two recent recommendations so I'm checking it out. Based on my experience with the rear bumper applique and ventureshield's warranty it sounds like something best left to a pro.

5. justifyd

justifyd New Member

I had one professionally installed by Atlanta Protective Films (http://www.atlantaprotectivefilms.com). Derek installs them on-site, which is great. You're probably out of his range, but you can check X-Pel (http://www.xpel.com) for dealers in your area. (APF is an X-Pel dealer.)

I went with the extended coverage hood/fender/mirror, grille/bumper, and clear fog lamp kits. I figured if I was going to do it, I better do it right. All that came to $700 installed.

Derek did a fantastic job installing everything. It took about five hours to do. After observing him install it, I can say without a doubt there is absolutely no way I could have done it myself. Had I tried, I certainly would have messed it up royally.

Definitely go for the 3M urethane film, which is what I got. Derek said he quit using all the other products because they were inferior to 3M's product. (Given his background, he ought to know.) 3M guarantees their film for five years.

The films are sealed on, so you don't remove them until you're ready to dispose of it. The 3M film can be removed without damaging the paint or body, provided it is removed properly. As for routine care, I was advised to wash it regularly and "wax" it with a plastic polish/cleaner spray called Plexus. Quite honestly, I wish waxing the rest of the car was as easy!

Just an FYI... Paint protection film (clear bra) has several major advantages over a traditional (leather) bra. First, it allows UV light to penetrate to the paint underneath, so the paint under the bra should fade at the same rate as the exposed paint -- no two-tone paint! Second, the film is sealed to the body, so you don't have to worry about the bra damaging the paint due to vibration and/or debris. As I understand it, those leather bras tend to damage the paint and, when allowed to collect water, corrode the body. Plus, the preventative care sounds like a chore.

Good luck with your search. I've been very happy with my results, and wish the same for you!

- Justifyd