1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

brake, abs and vsc lights came on while bleeding brakes and electric booster stopped working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by archibald tuttle, Aug 8, 2022.

1. archibald tuttle

archibald tuttle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    per other thread i have been replacing small brake lines in rear of car and checking discs. didn't seem to have much air, never let the reservoir go empty although I did unhook the disks to back them out. so i still had brakes but they were low. i was getting brakes to all wheels. and I got air from fronts. good pressure, could hear the electric booster go when the peddle got hit. then my wife who was pushing the peddle said all the brake lights came on and suddenly i got no booster, brakes in the front and none in the back.

i don't know if i shouldn't have had the car on or Wth. now the front brakes are solid as a rock but no boost and all warning lights are on. OBD readers both hardwire and bluetooth see no codes and nothing wrong. "Car Scanner" software for the vlink knows its looking at a 2nd gen prius and sees no problems.

i see various videos about jumping the OBD with a paper clip to enter diagnostic mode and clear codes once the fault is corrected, but i don't know what the fault was, or if that will restart the booster and ABS stuff or . . . .????? It would have been registering 0 miles and hour so i don't think that the wheels not spinning could have trigger the ABS. Not sure how to find out what set the warning lights and if it prophylactically depowered/deboosted the brakes and no clue why the back brakes seem essentially isolated. I don't know if it has pressure sensors downstream of individual lines so if it sees differentials it presumes the rear lines were leaking and cuts them off. that would be really clever but it doesn't explain why the booster is off or if that senses air and shuts itself off and i have to figure out how to reset it.

lost in exeter.

thanks

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You're on the right track: when you don't know what the fault is, use the paper clip (or jumper wire) to enter diagnostic mode and count the light blinks so you find out what the fault is.

Then it can make sense to clear the codes, once you know what they are.

For some reason, a lot of threads and videos out there only show how to use diagnostic mode to clear codes, and not for what it's there for, which is to diagnose. It's like giving you a vacuum cleaner and showing you only how to empty the bag, never how to clean floors with it.

If you did not either use the programmed-in bleed routines or have it in ECB invalid mode for this work, that is probably exactly what happened. The trouble codes will tell you.

mr_guy_mann likes this.
  3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When you get the car to start flashing codes, keep track of which light is flashing any given code (helps to record a video of it). Then you can get a proper "translation" in the service manual.

When I tried out Car Scanner on my Gen2, it would only communicate with the ECM, hybrid control, and HV battery ecu's.

There's a sticky thread at the top of the Gen2 Technical Discussion forum that reviews different apps and OBD adapters. It has several options for being able to scan codes and data from all ecu's on a Gen2.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. archibald tuttle

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    @ChapmanF

Right. Is there a good thread on how to extract info from diagnosis mode? I'll go searching but if there is a favorite or sticky . . . . thanks

Meanwhile I found a thread that suggests the brakes are in failsafe mode which cuts off the rear brakes and applies only the front directly from the master cylinder. It shows, as i suspected, that there are pressure sensors for each wheel and i suspect that one showed low. there is apparently a way to disable all this crap while bleeding so that doesn't happen but of course i'm late to the party and it's some kind of need to know basis. I saw it mentioned, but not how to do it.

I've done a bunch of peripheral brake work on gen 2 and gen 3 and never had this problem before, but maybe I have just been lucky that it never triggered a wheel cylinder pressure sensor before even though i had a little air at the caliper ends, probably not enough that there wasn't some pressure in the line.

it looks like there are a bunch of generic handheld OBD coupled units that are made to address electronic brake controls although the prius always seems to go off the end of the charts in terms. I'm sure that there is a techstream version as well. Everything goes back to techstream and i've just never bit the bullet and got that going in other the offical of unoffical versions. There is always a time when you cross that threshold although hoping diagnosis mode might be able to pull this out of failsafe, but who knows . . .

5. archibald tuttle

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    @mr_guy_mann

thanks, i'll go look for that sticky.

the threads i've seen show diagnosis mode coming up on the screen on the prius vs. a flashing led that tolls codes. where is this flashing light to count. and maybe the technical discussion has a list of codes and how to clear them so I can see if it resets or a code. thanks for any direction. and/or i'm off to google.

6. archibald tuttle

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    @mr_guy_mann
    @ChapmanF

ok, the paper clip adventure worked. couldn't figure where the blinking lights were or if each warning light that was blinking should be counted or . . . and I've seen several threads that say if the problem is a brake problem, pump the brakes once you power up in diagnositic mode, one thread said 7 times, one said 30 times, i just pumped for a while, pulled the paper clip and all was well.

why or why is it with these cars you have to do all this crazy non-intuitive stuff. i get that they are complicated and computer driven but why isn't there a bluetooth dongle that can read the brake codes and/or reset those brake diagnostics, etc, or a button that makes the onboard console into a diagnostic for all OBD issues. Maybe if you want answers on fixes you have to buy something extra. I honestly wouldn't object to a legitmate purchase of tech stream if it wasn't an annual hit. I have one style car, am fine with older versions. Instead they are like microsoft wanting you to reup every year. They need a model that sells the service by model. If you're a repair shop, you probalby see all models and you buy the master license but if you own one car you buy for that car. I'm starting to see something is the right to service movement. There just is no reason for this stuff to be obscure. And if someone tries to cricumvent a code without fixing something, then the code will just reset so it giving access to this management seems like miinimal ability to actually run these cars day to day. That's an old saw I would imagine so i'll stop whining, its unbecoming.

Still interested in how you could turn off the monitoring functions during brake bleeding. in my case I wasn't trying to bleed the master, or pump or accumulator. I had made sure not to get any air in the top of the system. i was just bleeding peripherals and I think this probldm could have been avoided if I just could have had the sensors stand down during bleeding.

thanks again for responses to date.

brian

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's all on the honor system. As long as you're sure you have a need to know, you are allowed to look in the repair manual, where all that info is found.

Toyota Service Information and Where To Find It | PriusChat

Those lists, and step-by-step troubleshooting for all the codes, are also in the secret need-to-know place.

Yes, each warning light that is blinking is giving you codes. You count off two-digit codes from each light, so blink-blink, blink-blink-blink would be 23, for example. You have to keep track of which codes were blinked on which lights, because that matters.

Some people will just video the blinking lights on their phone and post a link, so we can count them ourselves.

There is a right number of times, which you can find in the place where the secret information is. 30 times is well over that, so it would work too. :)

But ideally this does not become another thread that the next newbie will stumble over and end up only learning how to blindly clear codes. The reason you're given a diagnostic mode is so you can find out the codes.

There are a bunch of those, and the thread that mr_guy_mann referred to lists a bunch of them.

It can still be super handy to have the blink-counting method available, because all you need is a little piece of wire and you don't need any fancy dongle and it doesn't hold you up if your fancy dongle doesn't work.

In the newer generations, fewer of the car's computers still know how to do blink codes. Back in Gen 1 it was most of them; by Gen 3 it was down to, I think, brakes, airbags, and TPMS maybe, and I'm not sure Gen 4s can do blink codes at all. You flat-out need a fancy dongle for those. You could be thankful you have a Gen 2 so you've got the option.

Everything you need to know about retrieving and interpreting the blink codes is in the repair manual, of course, but you could also drown in the number of threads here on PriusChat already where it's been covered.

That would be cool. Of course if you had some Android-based aftermarket MFD replacement, you could load onto it one of the many apps in mr_guy_mann's list, and there you'd be.

I'm not sure Toyota's MFD operating system is linux-based; it could be some other proprietary OS, with fewer existing OBD apps available for it. Toyota might not feel a lot of urgency about writing their own.

I also wonder if they have obligations around Techstream. I bet they did not write that software themselves, but they license it from some software outfit and put their branding on it. It could be possible that their contract with that outfit includes terms that they aren't going to build similar functionality into the car itself.

You're not stuck with an annual hit. There's also the two-day option, which isn't bad for the needs of most of us one-car DIYers. I mean, how many times a year do you need to fire up Techstream on your one car? Sometimes while you're solving a problem you need to fire it up more than once, but that's what the two-day window is for. Sure, the $65 is annoying, but it's less than you'd pay for one trip to the dealer to have them do it, and if your troubleshooting stretched into more than one trip....

The one thing about that model that bugs me most is that you are stuck if you have a breakdown somewhere without network coverage for Techstream to verify your subscription. I do wish they would add a one-time-fee, locked-to-one-VIN option that you could rely on using when you're not online. But so far, they haven't been asking me how to arrange their licensing.

It's a good movement, but it needs more support, to avoid the kind of regulatory-capture outcomes it has already suffered so far.

If you look closely, everything Toyota is doing right now, in how they license the repair manuals and Techstream, is exactly-straight-to-the-letter what the Massachusetts right-to-repair law requires. Massachusetts came up with that law and the manufacturer lobbyists immediately said "oh yeah, we'll agree to that one nationwide before any other state passes a better one."

For that kind of thing not to keep happening, more people need to be paying attention and staying involved.

In a Gen 2, you should best just plan on using one of the scan tools in mr_guy_mann's list and using the built-in bleed procedures for any bleeding that you do. There's a choice of procedure, a long one for when you got air in the top of the system, and a short one for when you didn't. Naturally, when the system knows you are bleeding it, it doesn't freak out when it sees the line pressure drop.

The other thing you can do is use ECB invalid mode, as covered in the repair manual.

#7 ChapmanF, Aug 9, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Info:

Attached Files:

9. archibald tuttle

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    patience is a virtue. i can see i'm covering ground that has been covered and I appreciate that.

i've got the Vlink dongle and three of the apps mentioned (although @mr_guy_mann doesn't seem to say that any of them can retrieve model specific brake codes). dr. prius and torque pro don't want to talk to the dongle although they did once upon a time. "car scanner" syncs and it allows selection of vehicle type which i would hope might access vehicle specific codes of this sort, but no dice. and there similarly doesn't appear to be any way to use these dongles/programs to alert the brake system to bleeding.

And, of course, with brake, ABS and traction control lights all being lit from this one circumstance do they all blink the same code?

I suspect ECB invalid mode is what i'm after. Don't know if that disables the actuator altogether or just the sensors so you still have power to bleed with.

i found a thread for this on the gen 3, where @Mendel Leisk posted the instructions for selecting ECB invalid mode on that gen. not sure how close the instructions for gen 2 are to gen 3.

I agree with you that 2 day subscriptions are reasonable but I have a dozen cars and when one is laid up for work i'm driving another so I tend to start something and then come back a few days later to finish it, so trying to calculate which 2 days i'm going to need access to manauls and/or tech stream is difficult. appreciate the snippets and experience posted.

thanks

brian

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You have to focus on each light in turn and write down the codes it is blinking. Be sure your notes show which codes blinked on which light.

For those three lights, there are three separate code tables in the repair manual. Some of the two-digit codes overlap between those tables and mean different things, so if you are not careful to look up every code in the right table for the light that blinked it, you get wrong ideas.

11. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    None of those three apps can talk to the ABS system. If you want to be able to do brake bleeding, you need to look at the proprietary OBD2 devices and apps- Autel, Thinkdiag, Anyscan, Mucar.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

12. archibald tuttle

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    @ChapmanF @Mendel Leisk @mr_guy_mann so many searches have turned up manual instructions that explain how to set ECB invalid mode without techstream for a 2010 i (courtesy I think of a manual snippet posted by Mendel):

(b) Select ECB (Electronically Controlled Brake system) Invalid Mode.

(1) Perform the procedure listed below in 1 minute.
    1.Turn the power switch on (IG) with park (P) selected and parking brake applied.
    2.Select N and then depress the brake pedal more than 8 times in 5 seconds.
    3.Push the P position switch and then depress the brake pedal more than 8 times in 5 seconds.
    4.Select N and then depress the brake pedal more than 8 times in 5 seconds.
    5.Push the P position switch.

(2) Check that the brake warning light / yellow is blinking.

would that rubric work on a gen 2? or is there another list of buttons to push while singing the star spangled banner backwards in japanese :)? the macro instructions to that portion are a little unclear because they seem to say even with techstream or invalidated ECB you might set codes so I'm maybe back to the same problem in the end of clearing the codes.

At this juncture I have a new brake line 4732347030 (per the help I got on this thread, thank you, and only $7 from toyota dealer plus $11 shipping although they had a service fee to pick it up at the dealer so it was about the same either way) and a rock auto rear wheel cylinder because the bleeder galled on the existing. So now I need to get into the brake system again and bleed again although not up at the ABS or actuator area.

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It’s not in gen 2 repair manual but you could try. Note: to shift to Neutral you have to depress brake pedal. Also, you might be able to achieve invalid mode but might still incur problems, since nothings documented. Don’t know till you try?

14. archibald tuttle

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanks for quick reply. maybe i'll try with the 12V battery disconnected. that might be another way to get ECB invalid without setting codes . . . brian

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That seems to be the go-to method for many people. (y)