1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake, ABS, (!) lights on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by LBprius, Jan 4, 2018.

1. LBprius

LBprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have a 2007 prius that I purchased in 2015 with 25,000 miles and which now has 50,000. About a week ago as I was driving, the brake light and ABS light went on, and a couple seconds later the (!) light flashed while emitting a high pitched sound. I had to press a lot harder on the brakes in order for them to work. The next day the same dashboard lights still appeared. The second day after I pressed the power button without pressing the breaks (the dashboard lights were still on), turned it off and then turned it back on again to start the car. This time no lights appeared. I took it for a test run around the neighborhood, and it has worked completely fine since then.

I thought it might have been the 12V battery that was dying. I haven't changed the battery and I don't know if/when the previous owner did. I did a voltage test of the 12V and got these 3 numbers:

12.0, 11.7, 14.0 v

Also, the tire pressure light has been on for the last two months, despite there being enough PSI in my tires and me repeatedly resetting the light. I don't know if that can offer any clues to what has happened.

I've been driving my car like normal, but I'm worried that same problem might happen in the future.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Welcome!

Because of the importance of the brakes, Toyota provided a way you can read the brake system trouble codes without needing a reader of any kind. All you need is a short piece of skinny wire to put between the Tc and CG terminals of the diagnostic connector below the steering wheel, and then you put the car ON and count the blinks of the brake-warning dash lights. They blink out two-digit codes. (Several different lights can blink out these codes; you should copy them all down.) More details, pictures of the connector showing which pins, etc., can be found elsewhere in this forum if you search, and of course in the repair manual.

There are in the ballpark of a hundred possibilities, too many to guess at, but only a select handful of the codes will also set off the alarm buzzer you heard, so that narrows things down a bit. Still, it's more useful to read the codes than to try guessing. I recently suggested to another poster that very cold weather could have been involved, but how cold is it in Long Beach?

The tire pressure system could have a few possible problems, some as simple as used-up batteries in the senders inside the tires. Unfortunately, the tire system doesn't have a quick way to blink out codes like the brake system does. If you have a laptop with a J2534 dongle and the Techstream software, it can show you the pressure, temperature, and battery condition from each of the four senders, which you could use to pin down the trouble.

-Chap

calin.ceascai likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you need a new 12 volt.

paprius4030 likes this.
  4. LBprius

LBprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Chap, thank you for your response! I will set out to find a piece of wire and try to get the codes this weekend. I don't think cold weather is the problem, highs are in the 70s and lows have been in the 50s. Typical southern Californian weather.

Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  5. LBprius

LBprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    That's what I'm thinking as well. Hopefully I'll know for sure if I get the codes.

bisco likes this.
  6. LBprius

LBprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----

Okay, I got the codes. I should also mention, when all the lights came on a week ago, the red triangle with the exclamation (the really big one), also came on.

((!)) 3641
    ABS 3442
    (!) 21226577

#6 LBprius, Jan 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ok, those are two-digit codes by the way, so:

((!)) 36 41
    ABS 34 42
    (!) 21 22 65 77

Anybody got a Gen 2 Repair Manual open to look those up?

(If you don't get a response soon, or like to get stuff firsthand, the manual's at techinfo.toyota.com, $15 gets you in for two days.)

Can you offer any more description of which lights you're calling ((!)) and (!) here? They might be called something else in the book.

-Chap

LBprius likes this.
  8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Until the ((!)) and (!) symbols are clarified I can give you the ABS codes:

34 (C0215) - Rear Speed Sensor LH Circuit - There are 12 INF associated with this DTC. Affected areas:
    • Left rear speed sensor - Speed sensor circuit
    • Sensor rotor
    • Sensor installation
    The associated workup for this code is 5 pages.

There does not seem to be a 42 code for ABS.

Pressed for time right now, but that's all I got, hope it helps.

PS just looking at one code in isolation is really not the best idea. In examining all the codes, quite often the manual will point you at the most important one, then see what happens the that is fixed.

LBprius likes this.
  9. LBprius

LBprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    2018-01-07 (3)_LI.jpg

I'm sorry for the confusion. I'll try to clear up what I can.

The red circled symbols above are what flashed in the mishap over a week ago, in addition to the high pitched beeping (and then constant) noise coming from the dashboard.
    When I got the codes last night, the following gave me flashing codes:

3, which I've designated as ((!))
    4. ABS
    5 (!)

I'm not sure what the correct terminology is for each symbol is, so my apologies for anything that's unclear. I just recounted the ABS light, and I'm still getting the 42 code.

So, to reiterate:
    3. ((!)) 36 41
    4. ABS 34 42
    5. (!) 21 22 65 77

Thank you for the responses!

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think your #3 is the "brake system yellow warning light" (it's yellow, right?). #4's the ABS light, natch. What you've circled as #5 is the light for the tire pressure monitoring system, if my eyes don't deceive me. Might be interesting to look those codes up later, after dealing with the brake/ABS ones.

-Chap

11. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No you don't necessarily need a new 12 V. You definitely need to charge it up though.

I'm not 100% on the ((!)) codes.
    I was able to find all the TPMS codes:

Tyre and wheel DTCs.png

The first 3 codes tell me that 2 of your TPMS sensors in the tires no longer function (probably flat batteries, which are not replaceable).

The last codes tells me your attempt to reset the TPMS failed initialisation. (It is failing to initialise due to no input received for ID1 and ID2 sensors, BTW.)

Overall these TPMS errors are easily fixed by replacing the two failed sensors and then reinitialise the system. I'd be inclined to change all sensors at this time as the other two will not be far from failing

I hope someone else can chip in with the brake light codes.

#11 dolj, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    LBprius likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would replace the 12v first, the re read the codes, before attempting any repairs.

13. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't replace the battery unless that was logical conclusion based on proper testing. All it may need is a charge up.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    easier to just replace it, unless you know how old it is.

15. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It would be easier to replace the car, does that mean it is good idea? It is not hard to test things. Replace only if broken. It is not rocket science.

4shizzel and Dxta like this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it is for some people. replacing the car isn't necessarily a bad idea, a lot of new owners here. and someone else gets a shot at whack a mole with your old one.

17. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is no evidence this required.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not yet.

19. LBprius

LBprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks for this. I will replace the four TPMS sensors. So it seems like we're still unsure of what caused the ABS and Brake System Warning Light ((!)), right? The Brake light (1.) did not give me any codes although it was on during the incident.

20. LBprius

LBprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Unfortunately I don't know how old it is. In the two years I've had it, I've never changed it. I drive the Prius around 220 miles/week so the battery gets used a lot. Do you know how often 12V batteries should be changed?