1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake & ABS Problem, Where Do I Go From Here

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Pjmc09, Mar 21, 2022.

1. Pjmc09

Pjmc09 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I’ve read up on several brake threads and learned enough to get in trouble so let me describe my situation. 2009 Prius
    1. Replaced front rotors and pads. Drove the car with no issues.
    2. After reading a thread I got the notion that I could bleed the front brakes manually without upsetting the ABS. I attempted to install a remanufactured caliper on the driver’s side front but it wouldn’t fit so I reinstalled the factory caliper.
    3. Began to bleed the caliper by pumping the brake pedal then opening the bleeder. Did this four times without incident and could hear a pumping noise.
    4. On the final time I felt a clunk and fluid flow to the caliper stopped. Now I have the indicator lights on the dash for brakes, abs, vac, etc and the car has no usable brakes.
    5. At no time did I disconnect the battery as in later readings seems to be advised.

Where do I go from here? I see scan tools from $250 up that state they work with ABS brake bleeding and I am not against buying one that works with this car. So any advice, other than take it to the dealership, is appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your valuable advice

Patrick

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Personally I'm not a Prius expert as of yet I have tons of Corollas and been with Toyota 40 years but not in Priuses before I go out and buy a whole bunch of nonsense to electrically bleed my brakes which I have not attempted yet I've changed the pads on my 09 put rotors and pads and all that nonsense on my 13 and did not have to do any brake bleeding. at least I don't remember doing any brake bleeding. And if I did all I would have done initially with the car off and the remote away from it even on my own nine would have been the crack the brake bleeder over a white paper towel and watch it drip you can see air push itself out of the brake zerk fitting it kind of bubbles and then when the air stops you have a steady drip of fluid running down the caliper hitting your paper towel you can see this clearly when that air stops I close the brake bleeder now there's no air in any of the system is much fluid that is run out if you want to run it into a container so you have an idea of how much fluid you've captured and how much air is not there by all means do that but before I start spending money I have tech stream TSI before I even hook that up and start electrically bleeding brakes I'll do that first so far my '09 is not required any bleeding operations and I've replaced the pads but not the rotors on the 09

3. Pjmc09

Pjmc09 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I’m stuck with buying some manner of code reader to pull the code(s) for the brake failure as none of my current ones work. Thus my interest in what to buy. Any recommendations? Is Techstream the only software that will program and/or bleed the abs module?

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    My junky advance auto scanner gets abs codes from my 2013 and 09 . I also own a dealer tis system

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    To read trouble codes from the brakes, at minimum all you need is a short wire and the ability to count light blinks. You connect two pins at a connector (Tc and CG) and the dash lights blink out two-digit codes.

That gives you a bit less information than a scan tool would give you. The tool gives you five-character trouble codes. Mostly, each of those corresponds one-to-one with a two-digit blink code, but some of the blink codes cover more than one trouble code. For those, you learn more with the scan tool.

For some of the trouble codes, there will also be one or more three-digit INF codes giving additional information, and only Techstream (or some other scan tool with that capability) can show you those.

Techstream lets you call up the bleed procedure. Some other "professional"-level scan tools can do that too. More generic tools and phone apps are less likely to have that feature.

"Programming" is not commonly needed for the Prius brake ECU, and any time I need programming done, I go to the dealer. Technically, Techstream lets you reflash programming, but the quality of the dongle connecting your computer to the car is important for that, and most of us are using inexpensive ones from the internet.

When I need a reflash done, I'm happy to let the dealer use Techstream with their $500 dongle that Toyota tests and approves, and let them worry about it if anything goes wrong during programming and bricks the car.