1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake, abs, vac, air bag lights, high pitched beep at start. But mechanically sound.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dillweed, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Dillweed

Dillweed New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My 2005 has new breaks
    No brake fluid leaks
    Good tested 12v
    New hybrid battery
    Never been in a wreck
    Etc
    Every mechanic has told me I'm mechanically sound.

BUT
    The abs, traction,brake and vsc are on and it does that high pitched scream when I start it. Getting longer and longer in duration.

It was a hand me down so it has a LOT of miles (216000ish) on it but they also did all that work. But I live in it and dont wanna throw it away. But I know age could be a factor... :(
    I can live with out abs. But any ideas what if could be?

2. Dillweed

Dillweed New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    UPDATE:
    Red triangle of death just came on when I put it in drive.
    I was about to change the serpentine belt. Does that have anything to do with it.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's the brakes. They should be diagnosed and fixed.

4. Dillweed

Dillweed New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    They were

5. bl817

bl817 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    minimum 3400$ repair at the stealership. Toyota really should be sued for the failing brake actuator issue. it really is popping up daily on this and other prius forums. its asinine that the new part is 1400-1700$, another 2000$ for install, which includes brake bleeding that cant and shouldn't be done by the run of the mill shadetree mechanic (which most of us are) because you need the Techstream and cable. not to mention about this time, your hybrid battery is going need replaced, another 3300 bucks from the stealership. add all this up and its way more expensive than the car is worth.

6. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Your scream could be my bark, best to have the trouble codes read so everyone is on the same page.

If you don't have access to an OBD2 code reader, many auto parts stores have loaners or will scan the vehicle for you.

If the supplied scanner fails to retrieve any codes, then the scanner isn't "hybrid compatible" and you should try another location/scanner.

If you plan on owning this vehicle or others into the future, you may want to pick up a cheap OBD2 bluetooth adapter that works with a phone or tablet. You should be able to find one online for like 2 dollars or less, which includes the shipping.

Skibob and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. Dillweed

Dillweed New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Battery is new. I mentioned that in the list of things that arent wrong with it.
    Actuator thing sounds sucky tho. Hope it's not that. I've been going to actual mechanics. And havent tried the "stealership" at all. Appreciate your indignation tho.

I am unfamiliar with the screaming bark phrase but it's a long long continuous beep.
    Does anywhere besides the dealer do hybrid compatible code readings? I know o'rileys doesnt.
    Or can you recommend a reader that can read the abs codes? Everything Ive found is check engine light only. My check engine light isnt even on. My wierd triangle isnt on anymore either.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The long continuous beep is an alarm that the brake ECU is programmed to sound for about half a dozen of the possible trouble codes (the ones that indicate the highest probability of discovering that the car isn't going to stop at some future moment when you would really like it to stop). There's a chart in the repair manual for which of the trouble codes will trigger the alarm, so that helps narrow it down, you've got at least one of the codes on that chart.

The diagnostic procedure isn't really any different for codes that sound the alarm and codes that don't. It involves getting the codes read, looking them up in the repair manual, and following the test procedures given there to pin down what the problem causes are.

It's just that if they're the codes that are programmed to set off the alarm, the idea of not putting that off too long looks even better.

Skibob likes this.
  9. Dillweed

Dillweed New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Okay. But can you recommend a place that will check hybrid compatible codes or whatever that isnt the dealer

Or a reader that reads more than check engine codes

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The one that gets the most ink around here is Techstream run on a beater Windows laptop.

There is also a way to retrieve (a subset of) the brake code information using nothing more than a jumper wire and counting light blinks, for those times when there isn't a scan tool readily at hand. A lot of posts on PriusChat describe that method too.

SFO and Dillweed like this.
  11. DrugDawg

DrugDawg New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

12. DrugDawg

DrugDawg New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    we own Prius. We have paid Yota for the vehicle, with this KNOWN TSB 2017 with limitations to repair the ABS Pump Assembly. Then we EACH need to contact NHTSA as well call yota Cares and express disappointment. We celebrate PRI ownership, to be mistreated by the mother dealership.

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    216,000 is getting around that range where nobody is really shocked if a car part wears out.

What has impressed me more about Prii is how many of the parts haven't worn out by then.

14. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Other than the dealer or a shop that works on Toyota hybrids nobody can guarantee a place that has a compatible reader. Either find someone with or buy a mini VCI with techstream and install it on an old laptop

#14 Skibob, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Also, when the brake system is complaining, sometimes you don't want to wait for your old laptop and Techstream setup to be ready. The brake computer has a way of showing you abbreviated codes by flashing lights while you count, so you don't need any special tool. That can at least get you started on the way to safe brakes while you wait for your Techstream goodies to be delivered.

See (large numbers of PriusChat posts) for more detail on that.

Skibob likes this.
  16. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would like to add one could get a version of Techstream off the Internet, like say version 12 and install it before even getting the mini VCI. You could not use it but at least you could find out if your laptop can run it. ;)

17. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Accepted definition of new is "made from 100% virgin materials." This implies new OEM HV Battery? Is this what you have?

Or do you more likely have a "NEW" HV battery that was "rebuilt/remanufactured/..." which means USED?

The audible noise is another sensory clue that their is a significant problem with the brake system. STOP DRIVING the car. Its NOT safe.

NO ABS = NO normal functioning brakes.
    So you are OK to have non-functioning brakes. Please increase the liability component of your auto insurance.

You do realize ALL warranties will come to an end.

Toyota was nice enough to extended the warranty just a little longer, which allowed some people to benefit, and others to miss it; that's life.

Techstream is the OFFICIAL diagnostic and maintenance software made for Toyota/Lexus, and used at Toyota/Lexus dealerships. Bluetooth OBD2 readers and all the various apps for smartphones/tablets are junk: LIMITED code reading ability (can't read ALL codes) and can NOT do any maintenance (bleed brakes, engine compression check, activate CHRS pump, etc). Why waste money on a toy that limits what you can read and can't do maintenance?

Get mini VCI w/ Techstream from Amazon ($25+). Doesn't matter who you buy from, as the cables likely come from the same one or two suppliers from panda land. Installation easiest on a Windows 32bit OS (XP, Vista, 7). Ask friends/family if they know someone in IT, as this person will likely have obsolete laptops laying around, and might be able to donate for free. B/C the software is hacked, recommended to install on a spare laptop; do not use this laptop for sensitive information (log in & passwords: email, bill payments, etc). This laptop is now your Toyota/Lexus diagnostic laptop. Mac install possible, you just need to search online.

Should you stop driving a Toyota/Lexus, you can easily sell your Techstream laptop set-up. Private Sales | PriusChat

#17 exstudent, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    Skibob likes this.