1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

brake, abs, (!), VCS lights on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by C Jakel, Oct 28, 2015.

1. C Jakel

C Jakel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    2005 prius, 175k miles

Brake, abs, (!), VCS lights came on. Took to AutoZone and they got no readings. Brake fluid is normal level.

Checked 12v battery and read 12.4 on system check.

I fear it is the brake actuator, which I hear is really expensive. Am I screwed?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If there are lights, then there are codes. Go to the dealer

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. C Jakel

C Jakel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    also, does anyone know name of code scanner I can buy on ebay to read my own codes??

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mini Vci Cable is what you need, it comes with Techstream software that runs off Windows.

5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You should get mini VCI from Amazon/eBay, $25. Any one will do. Software version 8.0 or later is sufficient. You can always find the latest software version, to work on the latest Toyota/Lexus models, somewhere. Generic OBD2 reader's, miss a lot of Prius specific codes. The mini VCI will give you the same dealer level diagnostic capability! Also, you will be able to bleed the rear brakes with ease! There are countless diagnostic features Techstream offers.

You will need a spare laptop, ideally running a 32bit Windows OS (XP or 7). Macintosh and Windows 64bit OS is possible, but more difficult to get working.

Assume the hacked Techstream software has malware, thus the laptop being a spare that is only used for working on your Prius. Do not use this laptop to enter valuable information such as log-on ID/password, banking, email, etc. Despite this, many use hacked Techstream w/o any issues. Read this for useful info on install/set-up:
    TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum - View Single Post - Offical TechStream software thread( settings and such)

Pay the $15 for a two business day subscription to Toyota's TIS (Toyota - New Subscription), to get THE Service and Repair manual, written by Toyota. This manual has a wealth of info and trouble shooting. Chilton/Haynes is junk, compared to Toyota's Service Manual. Be warned, PDFs are no longer available, as Toyota went to a CHM format. Maybe you are more technically advance and know how to save a CHM file; the benefit of CHM are the hyperlinks w/in the file, that will take you to another section of a manual. If you can't/don't know how to save CHM, you can go old school and save as PDFs like this person (Toyota TIS download tips | PriusChat).

6. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Could be a wheel speed senser. I had the same lights and it turned out to be a rear wheel bearing that started to go and destroyed the built in speed senser. You can try clearing the brake codes by shorting certain pins on the OBD2 port and pressing the brake pedal 8 times. See My VSC light wont turn off | PriusChat.

Crowfeather likes this.
  7. C Jakel

C Jakel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Can anyone tell me if the actuator assembly in the 2008 Prius (part #44510 47050) is compatible with my 2005 Prius (part #44500-47091)?

8. Marcipaw

Marcipaw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In my 05 prius I have 47050, and it is not a big deal to change the actuator. I did it 3 times because of crap they sell at junkyards, it is not neccessary to remove inverter, unbolt it, remove HV connections in he back of it and lift the inverter and shift it on ICE side, First time I did it it took me 7 hours with inverter out, last time 2.5 hours with inverter on the side . Extra pair of hands is helpful but not neccessary to change actuator. Extra pair of legs IS neccessary to bleed the system

IMPORTANT, disconnect 12v and HV battery safety plug before doing anything, drain brake fluid reservoir or it all ends up on your driveway and without Techstream or similar software it is not possible to bleed brake lines and actuator. Put some plastic, rugs or maybe masonry tub under the car to catch brake fluid

Get some Heat pads for your aching back

fotomoto likes this.
  9. Soybeanmike

Soybeanmike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hi everybody- I have a similar issue on my 07 Touring Prius ~ 98,000 miles. Lights just came on driving back on the highway, but didn't experience issues with the brakes. Car was a little sluggish, but I chalk that up to being past due on oil change. Changed that next morning.

Went to dealer today and they wanted $100 to diagnose the issue. Any suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks-

10. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The same answer goes for you. Get a MiniVCI, read the codes and get back to us.

11. Soybeanmike

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    What about having Autozone reading the codes?

12. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They don’t have a Toyota specific reader so you might get some codes, all codes or none at all.

13. Soybeanmike

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    yup no codes from Autozone and looked at break fluid, almost at min. those are the lights I see.

Attached Files:

14. Soybeanmike

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Meineke tells me its not brake or fluid related. They beileve its ABS contol
    module. Codes are:
    C1241
    C1256
    C1300
    C1391
    C2318

15. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you type those numbers in the search function here you will get all the answers you can handle. Do one at a time though.

16. Soybeanmike

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks- frankly it's overwhelming to determine which of the 5 error codes should I tackle first. Based on what I'm capturing in the various searches- it sounds like it could be an issue with the 12V battery and/or relays, the brake actuator, and/or the ECU module.

Do I have that right?

17. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can check the 12v battery voltage to see what it is. If you do a search tons of threads on how to do it will pop up.

18. Soybeanmike

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    looks like battery is under 12v after doing oboard diagnositic without starting engine.

jumps up to 14.3V with engine on.

Attached Files:

19. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That’s low. How old is the battery? You could try charging it if you have the correct charger

20. Soybeanmike

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    original... what do I need to charge it ? dumb question that says that car battery or the hybrid battery? mind is mush now