1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake, ABS, VSC, traction control lights came on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by plantz, Jan 27, 2013.

1. plantz

plantz Junior Member

2005 with 110K miles. Had oil change about 2K miles ago, tires rotated about 1K miles ago. I was at a stop light when I felt a little movement in the brake pedal and the lights all came on. Brakes continued to work, but somewhat harder to push the pedal. When first applying the brakes, there was a very slight wandering of the car, which was easy to correct.

I drove the car home and turned it off. About an hour later I started it and the problem was gone. I took it to an independent garage the next day. Their scan tool found C1357 -- decrease pressure solenoid fault -- but could not go further into sub codes. They recommended that I take it to dealer.

Some googling shows that dealer "fixes" range from resetting the code to replacing some things for about $3K. In all cases, it seems like the "fix" may or may not work. I don't want to pay a lot of money and have it not fix the problem. Any thoughts?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, it would be reasonable to start by clearing the DTC to see if it comes back.

Then if it comes back, the likely failed parts are either the brake actuator or the skid control ECU. Both are quite expensive parts. The Toyota repair manual provides resistance and voltage checks which are intended to help the service tech determine whether one or the other part are at fault.