1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake Actuator Noise in Summer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Marvinh, May 21, 2009.

1. Marvinh

Marvinh Marvin

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hello - I started a couple of threads during the winter about hearing the brake actuator noise on startup and upon pressing the brake. It makes like a ratchety noise is winter.

Now that the warmer weather is here I don't hear the noise any longer. What would cause the brake actuator noise to clear up in warmer weather? Is the brake fluid viscosity (or hydraulic pressure) different in warmer weather? And possibly the actuator pump does not have to work as hard to maintain brake pressure in warmer weather?

So if it only makes noises in the winter, I'm thinking I can leave it alone...because its a 5 hour job to replace the actuator pump and the entire inverter assembly and inverter coolant pump has to be removed (among numerous hoses and connectors). Can you tell I really don't want to do this job? (grin)

Thanks! Marvinh

2. Marvinh

Marvinh Marvin

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi its me again. Marvinh. I am re-submitting this thread (note the original date - 5-21-09) hoping someone has an answer this time. Please...:rolleyes:

Thanks! Marvinh

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    My "Chirp" was cured by bleeding the right front brake (by the dealer). The noise is usually caused by air bubbles going through the actuator. See the relevant TSB.

JeffD