1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake Actuator noise on 2002 Prius

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by AlexM555, Jun 15, 2011.

1. AlexM555

AlexM555 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    There have been other discussions regarding this program in the Gen II forums, and I think Toyota should have addressed this in the service bulletin aimed at the 2004-2007, all the way back to the early models, since the ABS systems were pretty much all the same. I have a 2002 Classic, and I had the problem where the ABS system was periodically making a "barking" noise, the brake light and alarm would go on, and the ABS system would go offline.

Discussions on here in other forums suggested that the problem could be dirty brake sensors or a bad actuator, but my independent mechanic who has serviced many Priuses found the problem to simply be old brake fluid. He flushed the brake fluid and lo and behold, the problem resolved itself. He said that old brake fluid breaks down and takes on the consistency of water. He replaced the brake fluid with synthetic brake fluid that doesn't break down as easily. I suppose my brake fluid was old.... I had never replaced it since I bought it..:D

The way he explained the problem, is that that there was unequal pressure being reported by the brake sensors, and because of that, the ABS was thinking that the car was going into a skid and thus setting off the actuator to do its thing.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can believe that replacing the brake fluid would cure the barking noise. However it is not clear to me that the problem is the condition of the old brake fluid.

An alternative explanation might be that your system contained a tiny air bubble which caused the noise, and the air was removed when the old fluid was replaced. In any event, it is good to know that the problem was solved (at least for now.)

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How many miles on your car Alex? Did you mechanic save off a sample for you to look at? Also, please post the contact information for your mechanic, as people in SoCal are often here looking for referrals.

New fluid looks like canola oil. Over time and use, it turns into swamp water, it literally takes on a greenish slime tinge. On my '05, it still has a fresh look, canola look to it. That said, on a 10 year old car, if you go to the trouble of bleeding the brakes, you might as well get as much of the old fluid out as possible. Fortunately, brake service on the Gen I is much simpler than on 2004+.