1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake Actuator Oil Lines

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PAULY STAR, Jul 11, 2023.

1. PAULY STAR

PAULY STAR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I was installing a brake actuator and i broke the top line. My question is instead of ordering the part im actually walking distance from a "pick your part". Is this hose line pretty generic so i can get out of other toyotas or vehicles. Because all the prius's there have them cut out.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd be willing to bet that any Toyota hybrid has the same size hose, but the length of the hose and the fitting on the ends of the hose might be different. However if you can find an exact match with what's available then it's probably gonna work out ok.

Tombukt2 likes this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That standard Toyota double flared brake line threaded fare rules on each end you mean the very top brake hose that shoots off over to the master cylinder I have it off if you want it I just need an address I have no use for it it's like brand new this is the very top hose that's right under your wiper tray I'm staring at it It's in perfect condition from a southern car just let me know You can also go to Napa and buy a what I don't know what it'll be 2 ft and then bend it up yourself just like the piece you take out of your car so you need to buy a small tubing bender

PriusCamper likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    This would be a brake fluid line there are no oil lines going through the brakes just to be clear.

5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Most of the braking system is unique to the Gen2 Prius. I would doubt that you'll find a different Toyota with steel brake lines that are interchangeable with a Prius.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It may be possible off an ABS car I don't have a lot of those but I know Napa in the store as I think a 2 ft piece they started that and go up to longer with the right ends on them and the flares match I have to use it for a repair on another Toyota few years ago and it's the same ends that are screwing into the block of the ABS assembly and to whatever they're going over to like the top one goes over to the master cylinder same end on both ends.

7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Having done this job, but also having never traced the individual lines to see where they go and how long they are, the first questions I would have are:
    1. I'm confused by your terminology of hoses and lines. Are you referring to the steel brake line that threads into the top of the actuator or are you referring to the flex hose that slides onto the plastic elbow?
    Most auto parts stores offer premade brake lines various lengths. If it's a metal line, an option would be to measure the overall length of the damaged line and purchase the closest oversize (overlength actually) with the correct ends and then just bend it yourself using a tubing bender tool. Or splice in a repair. Splice fittings are a dime a dozen.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Or buy a roll of CuNiFe brake tubing (easier to bend than steel, and won't rust) and a double-flaring tool, and replicate the old line yourself (can bend CuNiFe by hand, with care), reusing the threaded fittings from the old one.

That was my go-to method on an old Ford, where they distinguished different lines by using the same tubing size but different threaded fittings on the ends, so no store-bought premade line would have the right ones. And then once you have the flare tool and the roll of the stuff, it's just easy, and you can make it just the right shape and length.

But then, it's possible to overthink these things. Toyota's prices for most of those brake lines seem to be mostly in the $10 to $16 range. Maybe just buy the right one and be done with it?

Brake Tube and Clamp Parts | Toyota Auto Parts

I was looking at the steel tube prices. The ones with flexible rubber sections are somewhat more.

Tombukt2 likes this.
  9. PAULY STAR

PAULY STAR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank everyone! And I was talking about the metal lines and took some off another Toyota that with a few careful adjustments ended up fitting . But now I have issues w actuator not even working and Obd2 gets power but not communicating. I have a new yellow top battery installed and I’m going to check fuses and relays for the third time.

10. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That is very nice brake line for sure. My buddy uses it up in the New England states quite a bit.