1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake actuator problems vs. fluid flush history

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pasadena_commut, Sep 1, 2023.

1. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think our 2007 has ever had its brake fluid replaced (around 140k miles now). That situation (no fluid changes) is probably pretty common. I wonder if this might be contributing to the brake actuator failures? Anybody have information, anecdotal or otherwise, about whether or not the actuator lasts longer (or fails sooner) if the brake fluid has been changed (properly, using techstream)?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If your brake fluid is a decent quality and the brake system is made decently your brake fluid after 150 200,000 mi should still be about the same color as it went in remember in old cars when it turned black? That shouldn't be happening here. Generally I would think one of these actuators or accumulator assemblies could fail would be if there was some crap in the brake fluid and then the get get stuck in one of the internal valves and then that valve can't close because there's a piece of crap stuck in the valve maybe it could be blown out with careful application of pressure in the right direction something don't know but I have noticed in most of my Toyotas of the last at least decade have come to that I guess it's like dot four fluid. Something along these lines is happening because the brake fluid doesn't turn black anymore so the seals are correct the brake fluid is not eating the seals hence the fluids not turning black breaking down rubber so it shouldn't technically have anything in it would flushing help possibly.

3. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not familiar with the inner workings of this device, but it crossed my mind that in normal usage there might be passages which were never used, so that the fluid would just sit in that one space for years, possibly interacting in some odd way with the metal and rubber (plastic?) and that could cause an earlier failure. (For instance, I have never slammed on the brakes on this car such that the antilock logic would be needed - if the previous owner was the same it is possible that those valves have never changed position since the car was built.) Conversely, changing the brake fluid could easily lead to an early demise by introducing crud into the reservoir which subsequently breaks the finicky valves.

Last I looked the brake fluid in this car was indistinguishable in color from brand new fluid. Doesn't mean that it hasn't absorbed a bit of water over the years though, I don't think water causes a significant color change.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I guess that's why they recommend changing the brake fluid as part of some kind of maintenance 40 60,000 something like that. But I wouldn't be looking at it like some valves that have never been used because I've never activated the anti-lock brakes That's not how that really works I'm sure someone will be long and and go through all the things you need to know. But it's done off tone rings and computer monitoring of the forward inertia of the car and all kinds of things ABS system is constantly monitoring and making adjustments no matter what you're doing with your foot including emergency stopping All that does is take over and apply and unapply the brakes so rapidly you can't even fathom.

5. theory816

theory816 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Base
    I believe old brake fluid can eat the inner material of all the braking system components. That said, some parts of the brake ABS system wears out from usage. For example, the small ABS motor has carbon brushes that wears down. How are you going to replace that part with the correct brush from the OEM factory? Then there's the accumulator which holds nitrogen gas I believe. There has to be some eating away of the materials with rubber, steel, and aluminum over time.

Its always good to change out your brake fluid every 2 years to prevent any damage and keep an eye on the system. But again, some parts wears out regardless. In terms of the ABS module, the accumulator and the ABS pump will wear out at around 150-200k miles. The aluminum block itself should be ok.

6. MCCOHENS

MCCOHENS Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The reason brake fluid needs to be changed after a long time is water. Moisture is absorbed by the fluid, which does no good for the components in the brake system. In track cars moisture lowers the boiling point also so brake fade can occur sooner under stress.