1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake Actuator Warranty Extension - Seeking Advice

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by flippo, Jan 10, 2018.

1. flippo

flippo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looking for advice on how to handle a situation with Toyota and my dealer. Any help is appreciated.

My old 150k+ mile, '06 Prius's brake actuator is/was covered under a Toyota Warranty Enhancement Program ZG1 through December 31st, 2017, regardless of mileage.

It started exhibiting symptoms in late December, and I brought it into my local dealer (Butler Toyota in Indianapolis).

They said that since the 12V battery was low, they couldn't get the right codes out of the system to verify the issue was with the brake actuator and could be covered under warranty. I paid them to replace the 12V, and they said if the symptoms came back, to come back.

Then, on December 31st, it happened again. I called Butler Toyota immediately and left a message (not open of course, New Year's Eve). On January 2nd, we set up an appointment for the 8th.

Now, Butler Toyota has verified that the Brake Actuator is the issue, it is throwing the right codes. But, the extended period is over. They made a request to Toyota to repair it, since they saw the issue before December 31st, but that request was declined by Toyota.

They had me call Toyota and request an investigation, which they have done, and is underway. I'm not sure how an investigation will help, since none of the facts are in dispute.

Any idea what to do? If this issue isn't covered under warranty, what is the least-expensive way for me to get it fixed? This car is old - I really don't look forward to a $2k+ repair bill on it. That might just make it time to get rid of the car....

-->Adam

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    see iff you can find a local mech who will install a salvage/ebay unit.

flippo likes this.
  3. pfb

pfb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good Luck, Flippo. My lights came on and stayed on yesterday. Got the diagnosis of a $2700 + tax today. The sad part is that that set of lights have come on twice over the last two years but went away after restart. I never got the ZG1 letter about the extended warranty. Had I known, I would have gone to the dealership months ago.

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A