1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake and coolant pump noise TSB's and 95k Service

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ScottY, Mar 13, 2009.

1. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I did the brake actuator noise and coolant pump noise TSB's plus 95k mile service at Competition Toyota in Middle Island, NY.

The two TSB's are covered under the extended warranty. I bought it thru PC for ~$1000 (forgot the exact cost) in 2005. The brake actuator noise TSB was $2191.47 :eek: and coolant pump noise TSB was $251.93. The extended warranty covered $2443.40 of repair! It was a good investment.

Since I'm already at 95k miles, I had them change the oil (labor only $16.25, I have my own oil and filter), drain/fill inverter coolant (labor only, $69.96), clean throttle plate ($68.65), change the spark plugs ($149.20), plus a free complimentary 25-point check. Total cost of $330.28 after tax.

According to the bill, the tech found carbon deposit and varnish around the throttle plate, and one bad spark plug. Which is kind of strange, since I did not notice any symptoms of that. :confused: It took 3 days to finish everything, and the dealership gave me a Scion xB as loaner. I checked all the fluid levels after the service and they are all up to the full mark, means they bleed the systems correctly. I guess they had to disconnect the 12V battery during service, radio station and clock are reset and the reverse beep is back! Not a big deal tho. I tried turning on and off the car to activate the coolant storage pump. It sounds so much better now! No more squeaky noise. When I step on the brake, there's no more barking noise. Overall, I'm pretty satisfied. If you live/work around the area, I highly recommend them.

2. ttabbal

ttabbal New Member

Wow.. I didn't think those would be covered under the extended for some reason. Time to hit the dealer. :)