1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake booster recall--any warranty extension?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by beezar, Apr 5, 2023.

1. beezar

beezar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2012 Prius which started making the brake booster pump failure noise 3 years ago, but the dealership would not replace the parts because there were no diagnostic codes activated at that time (despite acknowledging the part was failing).

Today, it failed, and the warning lights lit up. However, I am 11 years out since buying the vehicle (110,000 miles), and I understand the Customer Support Program ZJB says I need to be under 10 years. Was there any further extension to this program (I heard there was a class action lawsuit), or am I out of luck and have to pay the exorbitant repair costs out of pocket? If I am out of luck, I may just need to get a different vehicle. Thanks

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    This is when you carry your car back to the Toyota dealer the one where they know it's been failing if the person still around or whatever which is generally not the case turnovers high at these places purposely so they can constantly have amnesia and young children working that no nothing. The person that gave you the acknowledgment that it was failing is probably long since gone and what have you there is a reason for these planned turnovers and planned obsolescences in our lives. This is when you go back to the Toyota dealer on the day that the rep is going to be in town or around you find this out from the Toyota service manager and you go there on a day that he is going to be there and you get there in the morning generally before lunch and you speak to this person and tell them and no uncertain terms you're not going for this nonsense when you were here at 10 years the thing was failing they knew it was failing they didn't have codes or lights on yet It took another year whatever now it's $4,000 of BS . And if your story is good enough are you have enough chutzpah It gets done If not you bow out of the office and carry your butt on to work or what have you I've never had too much trouble with these people but I don't listen to a lot of BS like what goes on in California and some of these places I don't play the Mr Nice guy nonsense with these people I'll call up Toyota of America and start talking to people and places and not be so nice about it and people start calling back real fast let me tell you or they used to now today this may be a lot different given the last 5 years I haven't done this in a while I try to make my purchases correct now so I don't do this because the people you do this to now and with are many of them complete twat waffles if you will..

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    what exactly is the brake booster pump failure noise? There is no extension beyond the original extension

4. beezar

beezar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's a distinctive whirring noise that the prius normally makes, but it lasts a LOT longer after turning off the engine, or idling at a stop light. It's very obvious; I think there are youtube videos that demonstrate this. It is very obvious that there is a problem.

I ask about an extension beyond the original because I saw one post (not on here) saying that his was out of the original extension period but they still repaired it because they had extended the original extension period. I couldn't find it mentioned anywhere else, so I think he was confused, but I figured I check because it's a $4000 repair. Plus there is a class action lawsuit that was filed on this particular issue saying that Toyota shouldn't wait until complete failure before repairing because it's clearly a safety issue--I wasn't sure what the outcome of that suit was.

5. CatNinja

CatNinja Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think the class action lawsuit was settled (paid off) by Toyota last April with the original plaintiffs. It’s behind a paywall, so I couldn’t get any details.

6. CatNinja

CatNinja Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Case number is 4:20-CV-127, if anyone wants to look it up. I’m not a lawyer, so I’ve no idea what happened, but I think the case is closed, so don’t hold your breath for a class action settlement.

7. shankyyy

shankyyy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had mine replaced last month..the sound plus the ABS warning lights came on...had to shell out $1000...the oem part is ~$700 plus labor...mine is 2010 model..

mikey_t likes this.
  8. ANCHORMAN

ANCHORMAN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Dealer says my brake fluid was gone and the intermittent "wirrrrrring" sound my 2015 Prius V keeps making is in need of a ABS and brake system components to the tune of $3,359.39!! The car checked out fine there 2 months ago. I have 98,000 miles and was never aware of the recalls, etc. I saw somewhere about a 10-year, 150,000 mile extension of some recall. Any specific information would be appreciated.

Update: I called Toyota 1-888-270-9371, they talked to my dealer and outcome was there is a brake program right now but my parts and repairs (actuator +) are not part of the program..... : (

#8 ANCHORMAN, Sep 15, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2023