1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake Caliper Sticking

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Jimmie84, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Jimmie84

Jimmie84 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yeah I know it's not a Prius but, My 1999 S-10 4x4 has rear disc brakes. Around 80,000 miles I had to replace both the rear due to a sticking issue.

I had a LR stick over the winter and replaced it along with the brake line. Now the RR is doing it again. It also has the original brake line on it. Typically, A brake fluid flush should be done on a set interval as the fluid tends to develop moisture over time.

I'm not sure if dirt or something gets in the piston or what is going on. I'm gonna tear into it this weekend and see if i can re-lubricate all the slide pins, And the parts where the pads slide on the bracket.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Is it a daily driver?
    The front brakes started dragging on the Ranger I had. At the time, taking it out once a week was heavy use for it.
    Re-greasing the slide points fixed it. Unfortunely, the excessive dragging had warped the rotors by then. Normally, a straight forward job to replace, but the 2wd trim I had used the 4wd front suspension. This meant the rotor and hub were one piece. So I got a lesson in greasing wheel bearings.

Still was a great little truck.

Those who plan on greasing wheel bearings, I suggest going with the grease gun adn bearing adapter.