1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake creaking/clicking noise...lubricating brake lever/shaft?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by exbauer, Aug 1, 2013.

1. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2008 Prius with the platinum 7 yr/100K warranty. The brakes are making a creaking/clicking noise when pressed. It only happens when the car is coming to a stop. If you start the car and sit there and press the brake pedal it doesn’t make the noise. Only when the car is in motion and coming to a stop. I took it to the dealer and they said the brake lever/shaft needs to be lubricated. It is only heard on the inside of the vehicle and doesn’t seem to affect the brake performance. They said it would not be covered under warranty since it was a lubricating job and not a mechanical problem. They said they would have to take apart the whole dash to get to that part to lubricate it. It would cost $1,000 in labor to do it. It would be covered only if the part has failed or broken and I don’t want to chance it for $1,000 in labor. They called Toyota to approve the fix, but it was denied. It is just annoying to hear the creaking noise every time I come to a stop. I am supposed to pick up the car tomorrow since they are replacing some other items. I asked for a parts diagram of what part needs to be lubricated to see if I can get to it. I have to take part of the dash apart to install my LockPick and XM radio.

Any ideas?

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am not sure what is meant by "brake lever/shaft". Perhaps they mean the slide pins? Here are some shots of how to check the actual brakes at the wheels:
    Brake service
    $1000 for a brake job sounds high, but from a dealer that is nothing new.

Otherwise, it is hard to tell where your sound is coming from. Is it from the front wheels? Under the hood? Down by your feet? Does it sound like a "bark", which is something that is described by other owners and related to the brake actuator pump? Does it happen when braking gently at speed (regen braking only)? Does it happen when braking to a stop in Neutral (friction braking only)?

3. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I forgot to mention it is only heard from the inside from the brake pedal. It needs to be lubed, but not too sure where it needs to be since they said they had to take the whole dash apart to get to it.

4. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wouldn't say the whole dash, but a good bit of it. That is mostly pop together fittings, and can be DIY. Plenty of guides here and youtube to help get the dash off. Here is a look at the pedal mechanism. It might be possible to get to it from below, but it would require a bit of the contortionist act, a long tube on the lubricant, a flashlight, and a mirror.

Attached Files:

exbauer likes this.
  5. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the diagram. I'll have to give it a go and report my finding. My A/C blend servo might need to be replaced. So, hopefully they can take care of it when they replace it.