1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake disc wear

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Lutchenko, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Lutchenko

Lutchenko Will Perrin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I just left the dealer where my Prius has been serviced.
    They advised me that my brake discs were close to needing replacement.

I was quite surprised as the car has covered 58000 careful miles with the majority of that being on motorways (highways) with very little braking.

When I brake I am always do so carefully using regen alone where possible.

The main reason I was surprised was that my previous prius covered more miles in the same way and never came close to needing new discs.

I realise that since we are no longer able to use asbestos in brake pads that the discs have themselves become sacrificial but is 58000 miles out of a set of discs usual?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm assuming when you say brake disc, you are referring to brake pad? 58k is very premature, I would get a second opinion. Most prius have gone over 100k before needing pads. I just changed mine out at 170k miles

HybridBull likes this.
  3. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine rear brakes and pads went out at 56k miles. On one wheel they wore out unevenly, so half the disk was rusty.

4. Lutchenko

Lutchenko Will Perrin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    No I am referring to the discs which is why I am so surprised

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^ Concur.
    Even with your wonderful climate, the rotors (discs) ought to be fine if the car is driven at least weekly, and you should be able to see if there's more than a few mm of pad left on the caliper. IIRC, the minimum spec something like 1MM.
    You're some distance from London's stop-and-go gridlock traffic.
    I'd say that a second opinion and an extra measure of skepticism are in order.

6. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    As it was said before, I would get a second opinion in a different place......

7. Lutchenko

Lutchenko Will Perrin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well I declined their advice to change them at £285 ($440) so I think I will be getting a second opinion eh

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There was a member here a couple weeks ago that made a comment while at the dealer, saying his disc had some rust on there. The dealer resurfaced the rotors for an enormous amount and it seemed to have fixed the problem.

Here in CA we don't have much of a rust problem on the disc, but in colder wet climates, I guess it can happen. Just resurface them

9. Lutchenko

Lutchenko Will Perrin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Defo no rust as the car is used numerous times every day.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you talking front, back or both? there have been many complaints about rear brake wear on gen III due to stuck slide pins and rubbing pads. see posts from member 'mendel leisk'.

11. Lutchenko

Lutchenko Will Perrin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Fronts

I just noticed that it looks as if they changed pads anyway unless they just replace the retaining clips.
    Perhaps they stripped them down and binned the pads assuming I would agree to them replacing the discs

#11 Lutchenko, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Standard thickness of the front disc is 25.0 mm, and minimum thickness is 22.0 mm. Are you still on first set of pads, or? If discs ARE near minimum that quick, you'd think either you're smoking through pad sets (they're not releasing properly, and wearing down the disc), or they're aggressively machining them.

OTOH, do they even say the discs are near minimum thickness, or they just don't like the looks of them? Try a second opinion?

Attached Files:

SFO likes this.
  13. Lutchenko

Lutchenko Will Perrin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    They told me the pads are 80% worn and the discs are worn and they recommend replacing them.
    I think I might put a mic across the discs and see what they are

14. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Pads are easy to see, but many times rotors are called bad, that are not. Surface rust does not mean resurface...they all rust. Always call them on it...show you with a mic measured at multiple points...and make them zero it first. Seen a lot of crawfish in my days while playing the ignorant victim...mechanic in sheep's clothing.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, you don't hear about fronts too often, except for dealer scams.

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Now we're talking. :)

Checked one of mine: at least with my 17" OEM rims, I was able to reach through the spokes and put micrometer on, very easy. I think the 15" rims are at least as open. There's a widened zone on the splash shield, to expedite putting a measuring tool on.

It might be expedient to raise the front end, just to rotate the spokes as needed (I got lucky, it was fine as-is, on the ground). Or just roll the car a bit. Only thing: you can't easily read it on the disc, need to fish it back out. I needed to open it up slightly to get it past the rust at the outer edge, but it's trivial.

Mine were still right at 25 mm. The car has a bit over 50K km's, and never been in for brakes, never machined discs. I have opened it up once myself.

#16 Mendel Leisk, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2015
  17. Skunkworks

Skunkworks Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    at 58k you don't need rotors, and you shouldn't need pads unless you drive 2 footed. I have 127k on a LA freeway driven car and just changed the front pads 5k ago. I have had 3 track days on this car also. someone is blowing smoke.

18. Phil W

Phil W Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My 2010 has done nearly 70k miles and the pads are only 30% worn, however there is a distinct lip forming on the discs/rotors. So unusually the disc is wearing out before the pads. I have put it down to the British climate and that I use the friction brakes sparingly. How so? Well after rain, even overnight there is a small layer of rust on the discs,wiped off by the pads, but not enough to wear them down. So the discs are getting worn through corrosion rather than friction breaking. This is not seen in ordinary cars because both the discs and pads would have been replaced over 70k miles.

19. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The truth lies in the measurements. I doubt rust is a factor here. From my experience, plenty of shops, including dealers, base the necessity of replacing rotors on looks and/or greed while others machine them below specifications and put them back on the road. I'll add that most of the time I see paperwork with measurements, the measurements are incorrect.

I look forward to seeing the measurements you get.

Avi

20. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    At 98k miles, my pads were worn to 2mm thickness. I looked at the rotors and saw deep gouging in the rotors. I went to my local NAPA auto parts and got the top of the line rotors and new pads.

I did NOT want to deal with the Toyota rotors as they are crap. I had the wifes' RAV4 rear rotors replaced at the dealer, only to have them warp after a year. So, I went with the NAPA Ultra Premium rotors and been happy for 2+ years.

So, I bought the NAPA rotors and the job is done.

DBCassidy

bisco likes this.