1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake dust

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BoosPrius, Apr 6, 2006.

1. BoosPrius

BoosPrius New Member

I just bot a new 2006 Prius last week. Super White for the color. I noticed some sort of substance on the rear wheel well behind the rear tire, as tho something is being sprayed there. It's not very heavy, but is easy to notice. I'm wondering if this is due to a break in period or do I have a brake problem. Anyone else experience this? Thanx.

2. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

My car is the same color and I noticed exactly the same thing when it was new. I have thought no more about it, so I can't tell you if it's a new car issue or if it's still happening. The car has 36,600 miles and the brakes have not caused problems.

3. BoosPrius

BoosPrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt @ Apr 6 2006, 09:33 PM) [snapback]236110[/snapback]</div>

Thanx, hopefully it will be only a temporary thing.

4. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My guess is that it is the goo they coat the tires with when they prep the car to make it look all shiny and new. I sure wouldn't worry about anything in the wheel wells. Clean everything up, and it it keeps happening, THEN worry about it.

5. BoosPrius

BoosPrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Apr 6 2006, 09:44 PM) [snapback]236115[/snapback]</div>

Thank you.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you talking about greyish dots? It's probably the oil like darell mentioned. It's apparently when the tyres are polished and then it rains.

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    mine's black and i get some crap kicked up from the road right behind the rear wheel well if i go somewhere particularly dusty. it's not brake dust... the drums aren't used nearly enough to cause that.

a good coat of wax prevents it pretty well.

8. BoosPrius

BoosPrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Apr 7 2006, 08:16 AM) [snapback]236276[/snapback]</div>

Thank you. That's a great idea. /Gary