1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake Fluid Comparison

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by The Critic, Jun 6, 2012.

1. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Getting ready to do a brake fluid flush on my 2011 for routine maintenance. Yes, I know that it is not required by Toyota, but Lexus requires it at 30,000 mile intervals for the mechanically-identical CT200h.

Are there any significant differences between different brands, or are all DOT3 fluids fairly similar? I have heard that some are of a lower viscosity and therefore, will cause different pedal feel (non-issue on our cars) or ABS behavior. Although I am inclined to buy the Genuine Toyota stuff, I suspect that it is not an item that is sold often so I do not want to be sold a bottle of stale fluid..

Thanks.

2. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I would use any brand name DOT3 since it is a standard.

3. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ask Luscious Garage on their Facebook page. They advised me against it at 30,000, even though my car was in their shop on the rack.

4. tweedle99

tweedle99 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've used Valvoline synthetic brake fluid on my other cars for years. Supposedly less hygroscopic than regular fluid.

5. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Rebound - Luscious Garage quoted me $120 for 1 hr of labor + the fluid, I'll have to ask what they would use.

From what I have read online so far, I will either get BG Super DOT4 or ATE SL.6. Those are the two fluids with the highest boiling points I can find that are likely to be under $30/qt.

edit: I may go with the ATE SL.6 since it is a low-viscosity fluid that is optimized for the newer braking systems.

6. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mike, don't go by the highest boiling point alone, some high boiling point fluids absorb water faster than some lower boiling point fluids. Unfortunately, that data is hard to find.

Unless you are doing track many days in your car or fording deep streams I don't think it's very likely that you will benefit by changing your brake fluid yet. Try some test strips and see what they tell you.

7. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That is true, but the data is impossible to find. I am going to guess that the fluids are fairly similar in this area. Pentosin's DOT 4 LV does make a claim that it "offers long-term moisture resistance inhibitors designed to avoid the absorption and retention of water." I am not sure if this is something special, as it could just be marketing material.

While it is true that a brake fluid change is not absolutely needed, part of me wants to do a flush so that I can test the effects of a low-viscosity brake fluid on this application. I am curious what it will do to the regenerative brake system. The ATE and Pentosin low-viscosity fluids are under 700mm^2 @ -40C, but even the BG DOT 4 fluid is at about 1000. Regardless, any of these three fluids should be an improvement over the stuff that is in there.

8. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had the dealer flush my brake fluid at 30,000 miles. Cost was $129.08. I typically have the brake fluid flushed, or do it myself, every two years or 30,000 miles. I always notice an improvement in braking and consider it cheap insurance to prevent costly brake component repairs. Prius brake components are even more expensive than those on conventional cars.

I don't think it matters so much which brand of fluid you use as long as it is a major brand and hasn't been sitting on the shelf for months. I have used Valvoline and Prestone DOT4 synthetic fluids with excellent results.

I am more interested in your methodology:
    • Which flush method and tools are you planning to use, i.e. power flush, vacuum pump, pump brake pedal? In my opinion, power flush is best; vacuum is OK, but can be tedious; and, pumping the brake pedal can get you into trouble.
    • Do you have a scan tool to excercise the ABS?
    • If you don't have a scan tool, how do you plan to disable the hybrid brake system?
    • Anything else you plan to do due to the special aspects of the hybrid brake system?
    I am not asking these questions to quiz you or question your capabilities. I hope this goes well for you and you can educate us on how to do it. I have been considering doing it myself on my Prius but have not because I am not sure of how to safely deal with the hybrid apsects.

9. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If the system says to use DOT 3 -- that is what I would use. DOT 4 does needs to be changed out at two years .... You can get specialized fluids in all the classes -- that can often overlap in spec.

Why introduce a fluid into a system that will never come into play and introduces the potential for more moisture.

10. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You can just refresh the fluid by sucking it out of the reservoir and addind fresh fluid. This way you don't have to break the bleeders open and throw codes. This is much more than the average owner does.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

You have it backwards. DOT4 is an improved version of DOT3. DOT4 can be used in any system which calls for DOT3 because they are both glycol based. DOT4 is preferable to DOT3 because it has a higher boiling point and is less hydroscopic (absorbs less moisture) than DOT3. The below link provides a good comparison between DOT3 and DOT4. It also describes silicone based DOT5 which should not be used in a Prius, and DOT5.1 which is a higher performance glycol based fluid.

Brake Fluid Grades

What does "never come into play" mean? If you mean you don't think brake fluid needs to be flushed, that is certainly your choice. Since I keep my cars a long time, I find is more cost effective to do lower cost preventive maintenance now than high cost repairs later.

Flushing does NOT "introduce(s) the potential for more moisture". To the contrary, flushing the old contaminated brake fluid out of the sytem and replacing it with new brake fluid removes moisture.

12. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    1) Per the service manual, the front brakes are bled manually and the rear brakes are bled by activating the brake booster pump. Due to the design of the Prius brake system, I somehow doubt that pressuring the reservoir will allow the fronts to bled quickly, so for the fronts you are limited to either the old-fashioned method (recommended by service manual) or a vacuum bleeder (Mityvac or Vacula).

2) I have the Toyota Techstream Lite software and the appropriate interface cable.

3) Per the service manual, you can put the vehicle into the electronically controlled brake system (ECB) invalid mode to initiate the brake bleeding process. However, from my experience with following these alternate procedures, they are iffy because it is very easy to set fault codes that render the car undriveable unless you have Techstream to clear them. Don't ask me how I know this....

4) Since I plan to use Techstream, I will follow the prompts for the "usual air bleeding" directions. The front brakes are bled manually when Techstream prompts you, then you bleed the rears by holding down the pedal for no more than 100 seconds to run the brake booster pump.

As for the brake fluid, there appear to be significant low-temp viscosity differences amongst the various brands. I am going to find something that closely matches the low-temp viscosity of DOT3 fluid but has a significantly higher wet boiling point.

If anyone wants the print out from the shop manual, PM me and I can send it to you.

13. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sounds like you have everything covered, the key items being the Toyota Techstream Lite software and interface cable. Can you give some more information on your Techstream hardware and software.
    • What kind of device is the software on (scanner, PC, etc.)?
    • If someone wanted to buy the same hardware and software as you are using, how much would it cost and where would one purchase it?
    Thanks.

14. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Den 49: DOT4 does indeed have a minimum boiling point that is higher then the minimum for DOT3 -- but you can get fluids that are DOT3 that have higher boiling points than the minimum and are higher than DOT4. On a performance car that will regularly need the higher boiling point the higher spec in needed. DOT4 is more resistant to moisture absorption up to a point - it is then actually more susceptible to moisture intrusion -- so it must be change out or you will get more corrosion with the 4 then the 3 -- that is why you don't see change intervals for the 3 on many makes.

The 4 will also give you better feel on systems that are set up for the use the 4 as the 3 will possibly have more moisture and lower boiling point. The Prius does not need the 4 as it has no "feel" and no performance .... and you don't want the potential of more moisture with a possible extended interval. So ........use the 3 .. the 4 gains you nothing. The above is simplified a bit.

15. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    VW specifies Super DOT4 for their cars. All the rest I've owned used DOT3. That's what I use.

16. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Modern brake systems require very little maintenance. Years ago pad material did not last as long, rotors required more maintenance and the various seals did not perform to the level of todays products. Since the brake system is "closed" -- moisture could only enter during maintenance procedures or seal/ hose degradation ..... all now greatly reduced. I can't tell you the last time we had a moisture issue in any of our DOT3 cars. We always beed out the fluid when we do any brake work on the DOT3 cars. On the DOT4's you have to change out the fluid every two to three years. The main problem is down at the calipers - moisture can cause rust ...some guys only squirt the first few ounces. Since the fluid tank is clear and most cars contain enough fluid in the tank for the whole pad wear -- we leave them alone. You are not gaining much by replacing the fluid in an always closed tank. Always use a new can of fluid when adding. I just had this done on our MB Wagon .......since no pad work in the near future -- less than $100.00. Most american cars have DOT3 and no change interval .....

17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Honda uses DOT3, and recommend to change the fluid every 3 years. They also recommend to not mix fluid brands. The latter might be overkill, but probably safest to follow, ie: stick with the same brand.

Further edit: revised "change" to "mix" (underlined). Still, amounts to the same thing: unless you could completely purge the current fluid, if you switch brands you will be mixing.

18. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My understanding is that the Prius callipers Are aluminium and the pistons are plastic to reduce weight, this also must go some way towards reducing corrosion.

The boiling point of the fluid is mute in the Prius since the brakes with regen rarely get warm with friction braking born out by the longevity of the life disc pads. More moisture is let into the brake system through people taking the filler cap of for no good reason (this also lets in dust) than by any other means.

19. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is a point that is constantly brought up, and I've been trying to find info to refute this. So far, all of the info I have found says that this characteristic may be greatly dependent on the specific brand of fluid, as certain brands may be able to better withstand moisture than others.

For instance, see this post over on SVTperformance:

Pentosin's site also makes similar (but less direct) comments about the moisture issue. So, I'm somewhat convinced that this may have traditionally been an issue with DOT4, but certain blenders have been taking steps to reduce this problem. Also, ATE has some DOT4s that are only rated for 2 -years of use, while others are rated for 3- years.

ATE -ATE Brake Fluid

Very true, though an important consideration is the quality of the brake fluid. Some lower quality DOT3 fluids may not contain the needed polymers for system lubrication, which may be why there were the seal issues which led to the recent recalls for Toyota. A qt of high-quality DOT4 fluid such as ATE Type 200 is only about $5 more than a generic DOT3 around here.

Correct, but most/all VWs from 2003+ require the usage of a low-viscosity DOT4 fluid for optimal ABS performance. This is an important part of the specification that is commonly overlooked. Pentosin DOT4LV or ATE SL.6 are two fluids which meet this requirement.

1) PC laptop.
    2) $500 for the official Mongoose interface.

Honda strongly recommends the usage of Genuine Honda heavy-duty DOT3 only. I suspect this is because of the lubricants issue I mentioned earlier and also due to the control of brake fluid quality. Honda likely wants a brake fluid that meets more than the minimum DOT3 specification.

20. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As an update to the original post, I have ordered 4L of ATE TYP 200 DOT4 brake fluid from worldpac. I will likely get around to the brake flush next weekend.