1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake Fluid Level

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jason petter, Apr 7, 2015.

1. jason petter

jason petter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Oil change for 25k was yesterday at dealer, after they gave papers I noticed it on the last page for category “under Hood : Fluid level” checked the red mark “ immediate attention required” but they don’t specific mention what is it? So I went home and check everything is fine the only thing is Brake Fluid Level, I don’t know that is ok or it’s low? Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Brake fluid level looks fine. If you let the car sit, then slip in through the front passenger door, and pop the hood, the level will be higher, around that top mark. When the car's been sitting and you open the driver's door the system pressurizes and drops the level, to about where it is, with the pads having some wear.

It's normal for brake fluid level in reservoir to gradually drop, as the brake pad thickness decreases. It's actually a good barometer of pad thickness.

And it's not necessary to top it up; you'd only do that as a stop-gap measure IF the system was leaking. Typically, pads wear, level drops, you eventually put in new pads, pushing the pistons back into calipers to accommodate the increase in thickness, and level is back where it started. Barring leaks.

So mystery continues, lol.

#2 Mendel Leisk, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    Patrick Wong likes this.
  3. jason petter

jason petter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    thank you so much !

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    odd they didn't mention it when you picked it up.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I bet if you phone them they'll be stuck too, won't remember, or it was a screw up. Pretty stupid statement to put on an invoice, leaves you in the dark.