1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake fluid replacement at 49,400 miles?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ystasino, Oct 27, 2011.

1. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They have the factory equipment that's specific for bleeding the brakes on a Prius and gave me a 1.5-2 hr time for this service. He said that "internal brake systems" will eventually wear down if the fluid is allowed to deteriorate further. Now, many posters here say they do this service at 100,000 mi. I don't use the brakes all that much, and regenerate a fair amount.

Now some history with this dealer:

This dealer replaced my 12 V battery for $180. They only keep their batteries for a few weeks and my new battery showed a nice 12.6 V reading after replacement.

They allowed me to inspect my CVT fluid level after I complained that the receipt they gave me showed only 3 qts rather than the 4 it requires.

They listened to a passenger window noise, but said that while it's louder it might be to lower use and they wouldn't recommend doing anything on it.

So as far as Toyota dealers go I trust them.

Oh and they're replacing the water pump under warranty...

Any ideas?

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How much did they quote you for total cost?

Anyway, 2007, 50K miles, I doubt that you need it. See Hobbit's write-up on brake fluid at 100,000 miles:

100K maint - 1

Fostel likes this.
  3. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    $147, thanks for the link.

I wonder how come there are no extended threads on this, you know like the one about transaxle fluid, engine oil, etc.

Must also add that the brake actuator noise, which Toyota covered only during the bumper-to-bumper warranty period and says is nothing dangerous, is kind of loud so I'm wondering if that might have anything to do with any "unusual wear".

Fostel likes this.
  4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If your brakes have the "bark", then a full drain-fill-bleed will cure that, if they do it right. If you go in specifically with that service bulletin in hand, then it should be very clear what your expectations are, and hopefully they will fix it on the first try.

Full brake fluid drain-bleed-fill is not a simple DIY like trans fluid. The brake fluid also is not nearly as subject to breakdown as trans fluid. If you inspect the fluid in the reservoir and it reminds you of canola oil, then it is fine. If it looks like green tea with a shot of espresso, then it needs to be changed.

Fostel likes this.
  5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    One way brake fluid ages is that it absorbs water from the air. This almost entirely time related, not mileage related. I am from the Pacific Northwest and it can happen in 2 years there. (obviously, it will depend on moisture in the air to begin with)

Brake fluid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would take them up on the offer. I had brake fluid changed by the dealership on a Honda Civic Hybrid for only $80~90 dollars, Canadian. But maybe this was sort of a "loss-leader" service. Also, Honda recommends brake fluid replacement, every 3 years, regardless of mileage.

The Prius brake fluid replacement might be complicated by various technologies. I do know it is almost a necessity to use Techstream to interface with the car's computer during the procedure.

The price does not seem than unreasonable, and brake fluid does go off, absorbing water, accumulating rust, etcetera. It's actually good to hear they're being proactive, offering the service, regardless of it not being mentioned in the official maintenance schedule.

7. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ^ As Mendel mentionted above, Honda recommends brake fluid replacement every 3 years. I had to take my wife's 2007 Honda Accord, 57k miles, in for a transmission software recall and asked about the brake fluid replacement service - $99. I had this done while they had the car.

The fluid color did not change at all between the original and the new. I do have peace of mind that the fluid has been changed now, which was worth the $99 to me. I will probably try to replace it every 3 to 4 years since Honda recommends and pushes this service.

I will probably wait a while for the Prius and monitor the brake fluid color per Seilerts recommendations. Due to the complexity I will probably have the Toyota dealership perform the service.

8. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Deleted: Had some bad info