1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake fluid replacement at 50,000?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by coopdedoo, Aug 27, 2009.

1. coopdedoo

coopdedoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone have any thoughts on Brake Fluid replacement at 50,000 miles on the odometer. I've pumped a LOT of money into the car this year. Hybrid battery, ecu and relay failed. $5300 of repairs with only $1900 help from Toyota:( I don't need to spend$$ needlessly. Dealer recommended replacing the brake fluid and de-carbonizing the throttle. I declined for the moment having just replaced the coolants and transmission fluid in a major service visit. But if it will save me from more major repairs I'll do it. The dealer charges $120 for brake fluid and $160 fro decarbonization. Can brake fluid flush be done eslewhere? I had a quote of $75 from Big O tires for brake flush.

2. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Art's Automotive recommends doing it at 30,000. Here's a link to their comments on fluid replacements: Prius: 30k Service

3. windshearalert

windshearalert Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As i said in my previous post, i honesly believe a 30k brake fluid change is about as needed as earrings on a pig. 30K miles? cmon, that is a brake fluid change out every year and a half for a lot of drivers. Now i know a LOT of people are sticklers for watching the service manuals, but a 30k brake fluid replacement is pointess and you are throwing your money out the window. IF the system has not been opened, and IF there has not been any leaks, i find it doubtless that you would need to R&R the fluid every 30k miles. Brake shops, dealers and the like are taking advantage of drivers that do not understand and follow advice like lemmings. I for one wouldnt worry well past 50k miles. Wouldnt even give it a second thought until possibly 80k to 100k miles.
    I swear the manufacturer will start a windshield washer resevoir flush soon enough...every 1500 miles, just to make sure the fluid is fresh.....

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    The condition of brake fluid can be checked. brake shops have meters or color-cange paper stips for this. It is their way of upselling because in many cars the fluid will test 'poor'. Wouldn't want to bet on yours either way, but 2001 was a long time ago.

I'm more interested in changing your transaxle fluid, actually.