1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

brake grind/drag (tried "cleaning", no go)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by miscrms, Oct 2, 2008.

1. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I am getting some grinding noises coming from the front brakes, wanted to see if anyone has any thoughts....

Symptom Synopsis:
    Grinding Noise, like pads running out with a rhythmic component like lightly warped rotors. Observed while stopping <10mph, and while turning in either direction at any speed. No real difference in pedal feel or stopping power noted. Noise seems to be slowly increasing over time. No warning lights of any kind displayed. MPGs have been off, averaging around 45mpg instead of 51-52mpg. Have generally attributed that to first summer in PHX (110+ temps, lots of AC) and wife driving car most of the time. Under cooler temps and better conditions it _seems_ like I can get up around where I should be.

Background:
    2005 Prius w/ 35k miles. Salvage rebuild at about 18k miles, over a year ago.

What I've done so far:
    - jacked front wheels one at a time and spun with car on and in Neutral. Wheel seemed stiff, and had a ratchety feel. Not sure if TC/VSC/ABS is still in effect to protect e-motors? Observed some grinding noise while turning both wheels. Is there a way to get the car off and in N?
    - removed left front wheel. Rotor hard to turn, ratchety. Pads looked to have plenty of meat. Rotor had some scoring, but not bad. Some rust on edges, but no rust on rotor faces. Pads seemed to be in full contact, which surprised me a bit. I have a pic of that at home, will upload later.
    - We have had a lot of rain the last 2 months (at least for Phoenix), and I had read the threads about "cleaning" the brakes. Went out and did 5-6 long (1/2 mile) down hill runs at ~40mph in N with the brakes dragging. Also did 5-6 full panic stops. Then did 1 longer downhill run ( ~ 1 mile) on freeway at ~65mph in N with brakes dragging as much as possible. Lastly did 2 ~1/4 mile flat runs with ICE at full power, and brakes engaged to limit speed to ~20mph. Net result, brakes hot but still noisy.

Anybody have any thoughts? On a traditional car I might have suspected a sticky caliper, causing brakes to drag and overheat warping the rotor. Seems weird that it would happen on both wheels though. I also though the Prius calipers had a feature to pull the pad back off the caliper to reduce drag. Couldn't see that in action, though may have been related to the test circumstances.

Thanks in advance,
    Rob

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Rob,

Which portion of the car was affected by the accident?

It sounds like one or both rotors are warped. Your dealer or a brake shop should be able to attach a micrometer to the vehicle and rotate the rotor to determine the runout.

I do not think that Prius calipers have any special feature to reduce drag.

To keep the Prius in N when IG-OFF, you would find and remove the P CON (parking control) relay after the Prius is in N, then power down the vehicle. That relay is located in the main relay/fuse box near the inverter.

If DTC are generated by removing the relay, then to clear the DTC, remove the P CON MAIN fuse (in the same relay/fuse box) for one minute or longer while the car is IG-OFF.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah it doesn't take much to warp these little rotors. One emergency pull down hard at 80 mph's will sometimes do it.Big problem with little cars these days.
    If I may make a suggestion if its the rotors look on eBay for cross drilled rotors. They'll be cross drilled & cut & ready to go and cheaper than buying locally. I have them on all my cars and they last alot longer.
    I had a 2002 Nissan that after replacing stock rotors twice moved up to cross drilled and never had a problem again. Cross drilling helps vent heat off pads.
    Good Luck!