1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake hydraulic pressure pump.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rsrobn, Jun 1, 2007.

1. rsrobn

rsrobn New Member

Hi All,

First let me say I'm new to both my Prius and this site. I love the Prius, and this site has been invaluable!

Being new to the car, I'm hearing a bunch of odd sounds. Once in particular, a winding noise coming from the driver side of the engine compartment. After an exhausting search (Okay I type winding noise and found it), I've narrowed it down to the brake hydraulic pressure pump.

Now, when I got the car, I didn't hear the sound at all. After say 600 miles (I have 1200 currently), I hear it everytime I brake and sometimes when accelerating after a being in a glide or regen (not touching the brake). It seems like it will run every 60 seconds or so while driving.

My question. Is this normal operation, or something I should have the dealer check? It doesn't seem to affect driving or braking at all.

Thanks for bearing with a newbie.

Rob.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The brake pump will run about every third time you press the brake pedal. You shouldn't hear it running on a regular cycle. Once in a while it will kick on randomly, but not every 60 seconds.

Tom

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

if it happens every minute and is totally repeatable take in as soon as possibe as this indicates a leak in the booster circuit. It could lead to reduced brake capacity. Not Normal.