1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake issue with 2005 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mike13, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Mike13

Mike13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2005 Prius that worked fine until I was told last year (March 2012) my brake pads needed to be replaced and the rotors were warped and needed to be trued. Since that work was completed, when I apply the brakes the first thing in the morning or when it is wet, the car will slow down and then suddenly lock up. This throws me forward and I get a jolt from the seat belt. The dealer has been unable to duplicate it and tells me the brakes are mechanically fine. Sometimes when this occurs I hear a loud clunking sound from the rear of the car. The last time I took it to the dealership they told me the Prius has an issue with the brakes rusting, but they are mechanically fine. I still have my doubts.

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Prius brake rotors tend to get surface rust do to their limited use. That causes them to be sticky when the friction brakes are activated either in a panic stop or at low speed (less than 7 MPH) when regenerative braking is ineffective.

The cure is to periodically clean the rotors. This can be don by getting your Prius up to 25-30 MPH on a road with no traffic, putting your Prius in neutral (shuts off regenerative braking) and lightly activating the friction brakes. You will hear a scraping noise from the brakes that will diminish as you repeat the rotor cleaning operation. Clean rotors will not "seize up".

The "clunk" could just be due to the sudden deceleration that occurs when the brakes stick. Check the trunk for something rolling around in the spare tire area.

Just an aside: my 2004 Prius is still on it's original brake pads and rotors at 237.5k miles. I was told by the dealer that they needed to be replaced at 100k miles and I asked to see the service manager. They now deal more fairly with me when I go in for service.

JeffD