1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake job - ABS

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by steve53mg, Jun 18, 2021.

1. steve53mg

steve53mg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If, when replacing the brake pads, the ABS light comes on, how does one clear the error code?

2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If it comes on when you're replacing them, that is a problem. :whistle:
    I take it that it's on after you replaced the pads? Front or Rear?
    Recheck the plugs, to the ABS sensores, and make sure it's seated correctly.
    Though I don't think you have to remove themjust to replace the pads.
    You'll either need techstream, or an OBD2 reader that also includes ABS, to clear it.

#2 ASRDogman, Jun 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Some number of people would probably just clear the code, figuring it was "something that happened during the brake job", and probably in most cases that'll work out.

Me, if I had gone to the trouble of the hookup to clear the codes anyway, I would read them first. Then I would know exactly what had "happened during the brake job", and I could decide then to just clear them, or maybe to also take some other step, and it might also help me learn what I could do differently in the next brake job to avoid that thing happening.