1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake job help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BobAgain, Jul 7, 2013.

1. BobAgain

BobAgain Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All,

I am working on the brake caliper slide pin lubrication and pad replacement on my 100k Gen 2 prius, following instructions from elsewhere on this forum. At the moment, I'm stuck - the instructions say to "gently push back the cylinder" to make room for the new pads. Well...gently or not, the cylinder is not going back.

I followed the "remove the two blue fuses and press on brake till hear high pitched squeal" instruction beforehand, but obviously to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

-Bob

2. BobAgain

BobAgain Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, if anyone wonders, I reassembled the pads / rotor to make sure I didn't push the cylinder out, and repeated the remove fuses + push breaks till beep procedure, but this time I removed all three ABS fuses and then disconnected the battery. Took the brakes apart again, and this time the cylinder gave and I was able to push it back.

So, if at first you don't succeed...try try again.

Also, the only reason I replaced the pads is because I am paranoid. The old pads have 2/3 of material left, and the rotors lost maybe 1mm in thickness. Crazy!

Thanks,

-Bob