1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake job jitters

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Desert Flier, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Desert Flier

Desert Flier Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello. I'm about to change the brakes on my 2005 Prius. I'll be replacing both front calipers and both rear wheel cylinders due to uneven pad and shoe wear. I have a purchased a Panasonic CF-19 Techstream computer but am still having some jitters about this job. I've done a LOT of conventional brake jobs but I've never done one on a Prius. Any last minute advice before I jump off the cliff? I really just like to cover my bases before opening the system up. And as I'm waiting on some parts this likely would be a multi day project. Should I just wait and do it all at once or is it ok to open the system and leave it open (capped lines) and work on it as I have time? Obviously I'll need to bleed the brakes but is a full on flush really a good idea? I've read where some folks have had ABS and other issues even when using the Techstream. Just hate opening up a can of worms when it could have been avoided. Appreciate the advice and I will gratefully post my experience once the job is complete.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Instead of having jitters, just make sure you have access to the repair manual (more info) as well as your other tools and supplies.

The reason is that if you do a job and you have dash lights afterward, it doesn't mean you're having "ABS and other issues" or that you are "opening up a can of worms".

It just means that your car is telling you things about the job. You look them up, you address them, and you're done with the job and on to the next project.

Desert Flier likes this.
  3. Desert Flier

Desert Flier Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A long overdue thank you Chap! Wasn't ignoring your advice just new to this website and community. The brake job was actually pretty straight forward and I will make a final post on that shortly.