1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake Noise Normal?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Bwrx, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Bwrx

Bwrx New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Every time when lightly depressing the brake pedal there is a single click sound.

It doesn't not happen when releasing the pedal just when depressing it.

It happens in all circumstances (i.e. with the car off, car on, stopped, moving, etc).

I thought it corresponded to the tail lights or the start button light because it happens right around when those lights turn on, but I was able to make it click without having either of those lights come on by depressing the pedal super slow.

I can't tell if its inside the car near the pedal or under the hood near the firewall... But it's right around that area.

It seems louder at times then other times...usually quieter when car is moving (probably just drowned out by road noise)

Anyone else have this? Is it normal?

It's a 2013 with about 500 miles.

I did a lot of searching but the posts I found didn't exactly match the above

Thanks in advance

retired4999 likes this.
  2. SAronian

SAronian Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    My brakes also click and other Gen III's I've driven did also. I'm assuming it's normal.

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There is a switch on the brake pedal that is important when starting the Prius. It lets the ECU know that you are pressing the brake pedal. If you don't press the pedal, the car goes into Acc Mode instead.

Perhaps it is this switch that you are hearing?

SCH-I535

4. Bwrx

Bwrx New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the replies

Potentially some additional applicable info...

I not sure it's the brake light switch or the switch that allows you to start the car (I was able to make it click without either the brake lights or the light on the start button lighting up)... Could it be a switch or relay turning on the regen brakes... would it operate/function when the car is off, etc?

The reason I think it could be a switch or relay turning on the regen brakes is because on the way to work I'm pretty sure (but not totally sure) that the click corresponded to a high pitched tone that I'm assuming is being made by the regen brakes.

The behavior was:
    - car moving no high pitched tone
    - press brake pedal
    - click and high pitched tone occurred
    - release brake pedal
    - no click but high pitched tone stopped

Questions:
    - Anyone else experience similar behavior to that above?
    - Do the regen brakes on the prius make a high pitched tone when operating?

Thanks again

5. Bwrx

Bwrx New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also, I had someone else listen to the noise when the car was off (and stationary) and they said it sounded more like a single thunk or clunk then a click.

6. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    First, in answer to your last question, there is a noise associated with regen--it's a slight whine with the pitch varying with the vehicle speed. Sort of like the sound an automatic transmission makes if you've selected L for engine braking on a hill descent.

I doubt your "click" is specifically related to the regen operation though because it's highly variable, depending on the force applied to the pedal.

I wouldn't worry about it. There's no reason to suspect a malfunction.

7. Bwrx

Bwrx New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Css28

When you say it's highly variable do you mean it's highly variable when the regen operation kicks in? The sound I'm hearing is really consistent.

When you depress your brake pedal is there a single click, clunk, thunk etc?

8. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's variable in the amount of braking it provides. If you have the HSI displayed you'll see the variable power flow. It's slightly variable in audible volume as well.
    I don't recall hearing a click when I apply the brakes but I don't think it would worry me.

9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OP, if it concerns you, take it in to the dealer and have them check it out.

Either you have a problem, or you have superhuman hearing. ;)

SCH-I535

10. Bwrx

Bwrx New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Follow up, I went to the dealership for the software recall and while I was there waiting I test drove a 2014 prius. The 2014 made the same clicking noise (just not as loud) when pressing the brake pedal.

It was a little strange though because it stopped making the clicking noise when the ICE first started.

The car was initially off and it made the noise, then the ICE started and it stopped making the noise. I drove it around the lot a couple times and it started making the noise again and continued to make the clicking noise in all conditions tested (off, on, moving, not moving (parked), etc).