1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake noise when pedal depressed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by taggart, Jan 7, 2011.

1. taggart

taggart Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ok, before any of you smart a** people respond with comments about my subject line, I'll beat you to the punch.

"Maybe some sort of anti-depressent brake fluid would help"
    "My brake pedal was depressed until I stopped pushing it all the time"

C'mon, you can think of some more!

When at a stop light and foot on the brake, we noticed a while back that if the brake pedal is depressed a bit further, something makes a quick, audible, medium-pitched grunt. That's the best I can do on a description. It sounds as if it is in the engine compartment, but I haven't tried it with the hood open and my wife pressing the pedal. I need to do that.

I plan to take it by the dealership at some point but was wondering if any of you might know if this is normal and/or what it might be.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Squeaking or grunting brakes are a known problem with the Gen II Prius. There is a TSB about it, but I don't know if it covers your year. Search for "barking brakes" or "brake squeak".

Tom

1 person likes this.