1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake pad notch

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by GaryD1, Oct 23, 2015.

1. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In inspecting factory brake pads on my 2011, there is a notch on each pad half way between. Does this notch represent any kind of wear limit factor. I have read and tried to find the answer to this but haven't. Is it just the way the brake pad is made or does it suggest how much pad is left on it?? Can this notch be used as a guide to how much wear is left on pad?

2. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I learned that the notch is there for the brake pad dust accumulation while having friction on the disk. for later displacement.

3. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was just wandering if where the U is formed next to the metal base could represent so many MM thickness left. It looks like possibly 2 mm from the metal base. I was just wandering if this could be used as a guideline for disk pad replacement time. Yea I figured notch was for heat or dust.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think it's a pretty good minimum depth indicator. The pad thickness at the base of that notch is about 2 mm, at most. It's something that's easy to see when looking through the little window in the shoulder of the caliper.

GaryD1 likes this.