1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake Pedal Height Adjustment - anyone been through it?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by cycledrum, Feb 13, 2009.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It appears the brake pedal (not the parking brake) is height adjustable, and that it is set closest to me.

I would like it in furthest away position.

There is a locknut on a threaded rod. Appears you loosen the locknut, turn the rod, tighten locknut.

Then there is a solenoid threaded into a bracket. Looks like just disconnect electrical to it, turn it in to match new pedal position, reconnect.

I'm wondering if anyone had success doing this at home or if their local Toyota dealer was helpful.

This should be an easy adjustment for any trained technician if the pedal height is made to be adjusted.

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, the push-rod is adjustable the pedal height is fixed. Backing off the push-rod could upset switch setting and will not lower the resting height of the pedal. The adjustment is there to adjust push-rod clearance to the brake master cylinder, don't interfere with it. The switch is for brake lights.

3. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    INTERESTING, PAT, here is a question just for you. last night, a vehicle pulled up very close behind me with NO headlights on. i saw the reflection of my tail lights on the front of his car. I noticed that my brake lights came on late, meaning my brake pedal depressed almost 3/4" before the lights lit up. is this a normal setting? on my other vehicles, the lights came on immediately as i broke the "neutral" setting.

your comments pls.

4. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You may need the switch adjusted or it may be how Prius brake light switch is mean't to be because of the regen brakes. My car will slow on applying the brake a little but the brake light comes on a little further down the pedal.
    Might need to ask someone more Prius savy than me.

5. Picasso Moon

Picasso Moon Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My 2006 did the same thing. I don't know if it was 3/4" but I could apply very light braking without the brake lights coming on. I should have adjusted it or taken it in to be adjusted but never got around to it.

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah darn, but thank you patsparks

7. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree that the brake pedal height is not intended to be adjusted for the sake of driver convenience. Nevertheless the height can be adjusted, and the spec is for the pedal to be 5.4" to 5.8" above the asphalt sheet which is below the carpet.

Regarding the brake light switch, if you can really depress the pedal 3/4" before the lights come on, this is a definite safety issue and should be fixed. Beyond the brake light issue, a further implication is that your cruise control will not disengage until you have depressed the pedal that distance.

The spec is that the clearance between the brake light switch and the pedal contact area should be 0.02" to 0.095".

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have to depress the brake pedal maybe 1/5 of it's travel and the brake lights turn on. It's a safety issue if you have to press the pedal more than 1/3 of its travel before brake lights turn on

10. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Jay, you mean of the total actual travel not the distance from the stop to the floor don't you? I'd be worried if I could get my pedal 1/3 the way to the floor.

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Correct, poorly worded on my part. I barely have to press my brake pedal and the brake lights are on

12. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I noticed a similar condition and adjusted it shortly after I bought the car. It wasn't too hard to do, just a little awkward since that switch is buried pretty deep in the dash. I would recommend you take care of it ASAP because it's an obvious safety issue.

13. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks people. yeah, the rear brake lights should light up IMMEDIATELY as you "break neutral on the brake pedal." i'll talk to my dealer about this. i'm wearing WHITE today and i dont want to go crawling......................:p

again, thanks for all your help