1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake pedal noise question. Not the clicking, not the motor, it is more like a harsh ‘pfff’.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by obidubi, Jun 2, 2010.

1. obidubi

obidubi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does anybody else hear the noise as in the attachment? I noticed this after the firmware update but I’m not sure if it was there before. It happens every time I gently depress the pedal, even when the engine is off. :(
    View attachment BrakePedalNoise2010.zip

2. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I believe this is normal operation of the car. I also hear this PSSHH noise as well.

1 person likes this.
  3. lee4hmz

lee4hmz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've noticed it as well, and I'm pretty sure it's normal.

I've also noticed electric-boost brakes making "squishy" noises like that on other vehicles, particularly GM medium-duty trucks with hydraulic brakes. The GMs use a dual-boost system (vacuum with electric backup), and when the key is off, they make the same squishy noises as my Prius does.

1 person likes this.
  4. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It probably is normal, but I don't like it. Brakes should be silent, smooth and very responsive to the slightest touch. I really don't want to hear click, click squish squish squish every time I brake.

1 person likes this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Then maybe you should leave the engine running... it'll mask the sound like it does on other cars.

1 person likes this.
  6. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Normal. All our Toyotas do that... I want to say it's the Master brake cylinder or brake vacuum system. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

1 person likes this.
  7. theloop82

theloop82 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Im probably talking out my nice person here, but I always figured it was because the first 10-20% or so of the pedal travel actually activates the regen function, so they put a little pneumatic shock on it to simulate a brake feel until you actually get into the actual mechanical brake function, because as I understand it, the brakes do have an actual mechanical connection (not full-on brake by wire) for a failsafe incase the computer goes all HAL on you.

Am i way off?

But if it bothers you I suggest turning up the stereo, or getting a different car, cause all the ones i've driven in do the same thing.

1 person likes this.
  8. obidubi

obidubi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the feedback. Now I can continue enjoying my car. The noise doesn’t bother me at all; it is very subtle and it is noticeable only when everything else is quiet, also only if specifically paying attention to it.

9. joeyd08

joeyd08 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well I feel better as I have only had my car a week and a half and was wondering if the clicking was a sign of bad things. My brakes are very touchy to begin with but the clicking when I have had some harder stops made me wonder if there was an issue. Seems there are just some noises ..and lack thereof....that one must get used to as a Prius owner. I am enjoying the lack of $ spent at the pump as well as the distance between visits!! Click click...shhh..shhh...pssss ....pssss....whatever it wants to do as long as it keeps rolling. :)