1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake pedal resistance

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by smackoww, Aug 23, 2004.

1. smackoww

smackoww Junior Member

i just test drove the car, i like the ride a lot, except of the break pedal. i cant stand having such a sensitive brake. it is to easy to push down for my taste.
    is there some way to make is harder to push the pedal down?

2. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    If you drive the car for a week, you will not even notice the difference. Your foot will make the adjustment in no time. You may be used to compensating for a soft brake pedal in your existing car.

3. smackoww

smackoww Junior Member

maybe i am compensating, but i feel that i have more control over the brake when its harder to push.
    thank you for your response, but that wasnt the question i asked.
    is there a way to make it harder to push?

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No there isn't a way to make it more resistant unless you go in and find a way to change the spring or something....

But Ray's response is a good one for you...even if you don't like it. The low resistance is ideal at the earliest part of the pedal, it gets harder the more you brake. The brake by wire and regen braking is not something you wanna be fiddling with and you adapt and come to like it quite quickly.

5. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I agree with Ray and Evan. I got so used to it in a week with a rental, the brakes in my car felt wierd and like they weren't stopping the car properly.

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    after you get your car, it will take about 2 hours to get over that "through the windshield" feeling.

but as you master the regen braking technique, you will not want to go back to the old way.

7. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I'm sorry that we're not giving you the help you were looking for. As I often say, That is the answer to a question, just not the question I asked.

8. smackoww

smackoww Junior Member

<QUOTE?I'm sorry that we're not giving you the help you were looking for. As I often say, That is the answer to a question, just not the question I asked.</QUOTE>

heheh. very true

that "through the windshield" feel is what really bothered me. but i have always liked cars that had a harder to push brake. i guess itll just take a little getting used to.

9. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When I did my test drive I had the same feeling. Touchy breaks but after a few days in the car it was just right. I am using a very soft touch except at a full stop to kill the ICE.

10. bookrats

bookrats New Member

It is definitely relative.

On the other end, I have occasionally driven the van for my vanpool. Every time I use the brakes in that whale, I feel like I'm having to put my foot through the floorboards to have an effect. (And I haven't gotten a Prius yet!)

11. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a solution: Buy an '05! I've owned two '04's for comparison and can say that the biggest improvement in the '05's is brake pedal feel. It's firmer with braking force more in proportion to brake pedal pressure. Gone is the touchiness I've complained about here. It's more than a subtle improvement, something changed for the better. Since it's brake-by-wire, maybe someday the '04's will be software upgradeable.

12. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Really!! That's a cool improvement. They really know how to slide in the little things with each subsequent generation of the Prius. I hope you're correct about the software upgrade, but I suspect there's more to it than that.

13. smackoww

smackoww Junior Member

good. im still on the wait list, so ill be getting an 05

14. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Drive your vehicle as if you have no or minimal brakes. This allows regeneration to work more to your advantage and your brakes last longer.

Think of your whole vehicle. How can I slow to a stop light or stop sign, not use the brakes (and not illuminate the brake lights), yet still maintain a reasonable forward speed with traffic?

This all goes back to "feathering the accelerator" and anticipating your next move (brake or accelerator). Improve your fuel economy, lower the tension level and make your vehicle last much longer.

15. T_S_Kimball

T_S_Kimball Ambassador from Uru

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Odd, I thought my 05's brakes were actually tighter than the old car (though that was an 02). Had to learn to break softly all over again, which was odd moving from the Classic of all things.

16. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    OK after 6 + weeks driving the Prius I drove my old Ford Explorer while I got the 5K service. The experience was remarkable. The main thing was that I felt like I would never get the thing stopped!! I hated the standard friction brakes. I have had for many years a dream where I push on the break peddle and the car does not slow down, and now it was reality. The other strange thing was the car not stopping at stops. Why would a car want to run at a stop light? This car does change the way you view transportation.

17. baseball8819

baseball8819 New Member

Hi there, I'm a noob on priuschat (dont have one, but looking at a used 1st gen for my first car) but I think I have an answer to your problem. If you don't want to just adjust to the feeling of the brake pedal, then you could try using a bungee cord. At my drivers ed school they attached a bungee cord to the brake pedal and then attached it some hook above the brake pedal, so it was more difficult to stop. Hope that helped