1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake Pedal Squeak

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jdenenberg, Dec 27, 2007.

1. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    My 2004 (at 105k miles) Prius has suddenly developed a squeak.:( It occurs when depressing the brake pedal, but sounds like its coming from behind the lower glove box on the passenger side of the dash (not from the pedal itself). Any suggestions?:confused:

JeffD

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I visited the dealer this morning. I opted for their $40 "Brake Inspection" and they reported back that I needed pads and rotors ($460). After I explained to them that this wouldn't fix the "chirp" the head man (a Prius Master Tech) took my Prius for a ride. They bled the right front caliper (there were bubbles) and the chirp appears to be gone (at least for now). I'll have to plan on a brake job soon, but at 105k miles, I can't complain.

Total cost $42 plus some valuable research time. :D

JeffD

Meg&Bear likes this.
  3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Just to follow up, Thanks to Galaxee I found the relevant TSB. Bleeding the brakes is the suggested solution for the "Squeak" (AKA "Bark" and "Chirp").

JeffD

Attached Files:

Meg&Bear likes this.
  4. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Glad to hear that you got your problem taken care off. You must be hard on the breaks lately...I can see that you may need pad, but for rotors :confused: On my other cars, my rotors last much longer way beyond 105K.
    At any rate, I would get a 2nd opinion from other shops + pricing.

5. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I guess that I have just received my booster inoculation against "stealerships". I personally did my 105k oil change and rotated my tires yesterday evening. The pads and rotors look brand new! The only corrosion is on the edge of the rotors (where it has no effect) so I can hold off on a brake job for a while:). Once again an effort to understand our cars is rewarded.

JeffD

Meg&Bear likes this.