1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake pedal to the floor?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by edmcm2000, Sep 2, 2009.

1. edmcm2000

edmcm2000 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I know that the 2010 Prius has some sort of electronic power brake assist, but is it normal that when I first get in the car and step on the brake pedal, it goes "to the floor" with seemingly no hydraulic feeling at all? It just goes down to a very solid stop. Then when I start the car, it is the same until I shift into gear and move a bit, after which the pedal acts normal and brakes normally. (I did look at the brake fluid level, it's OK) I drove the car around a while and the brakes worked perfectly, but after I'm back in the garage and shut down, pedal can be pushed down to the floor again. This is my wifes car, had it 3 weeks, and I havn't really driven it much and am not familiar with it. Do I have anything to be concerned about? Thanks, Edmcm2000

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When you walk to the car and put your hand on the handle, do you hear the brake accumulator pump run? It will be a faint whine. Just stand there without opening the door and see if you hear it.

If you don't hear it, you may want to take it back and ask the shop to check the brake accumulator pump operation. It almost sounds as if your car is not running it until you get in ...

Bob Wilson

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have to open the door to start it. It runs about 10-15 seconds, and is not at all faint inside my garage.

This is one of the noises noted in the Owner's Manual. If it is absent, definitely have the shop check it.

4. edmcm2000

edmcm2000 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just went out and tried that, but I just drove the car about 5 minutes ago. I could hear nothing at all by doing as you say. Will there be any time interval after using the car before the accumulator pump would have to do its thing? I've opened the hood and I'll let it set an hour and go listen again when I touch the door handle, key fob in hand. Does anyone have a car that the pedal will depress like mine? Edmcm2000

5. edmcm2000

edmcm2000 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OK, I just went out and tried it by opening the door, and heard the pump run. So, does everything seem to be right? Edmcm2000

6. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If your brake pedal goes to the floor with the car off, you need to have it checked right away for the sake of safety. Any car with power brakes must maintain braking action with the engine off, though the driver might have to push pretty hard for braking effects. Mine doesn't do this when starting.

7. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I wanted to share that my 2010 also seems to have more "Pedal Travel" initially when applied at startup, but it definitely seems Normal in driving and other braking application. It may be a non issue but let's see if anyone else mentions it. I noticed it but didn't open a forum chat about it since from what I recall that's somewhat normal. But you should hear a sound soon after unlocking and opening your door. It's not LOUD but you should hear it when in a quiet enclosed garage.

8. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Propose to keep a camera in the car. Next time you have the brake pedal to the floor then take a picture of it before you take your foot off the pedal.
    Then take the car to the dealer and show them your picture.

9. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Hill Start Assist tied to the brake pedal gives it a different feel, IMHO.

10. edmcm2000

edmcm2000 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My problem is that I'm over an hour from a dealer and am only able to get away from the house 4 hours a week. Maybe I'll get down to that dealer and try the same thine on one of their cars on the lot. edmcm2000

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I can't reproduce the problem. All I can suggest is a visit to a service center.

Bob Wilson

12. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I think you are missing my point.
    The picture is the evidence that the brake pedal goes down to the floor. It is because you are not likely to reproduce this when you bring your car to the dealer, nor any other Prius on the lot.
    I believe the problem is unique to your Prius. With the picture you can insist the dealer to keep the car for couple of days and try to reproduce it.

13. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just went out to my car and the pump goes on when I open the door. I am able to press the pedal all the way to the floor (or a least to a hard stop which I assume is the floor) with little resistance. When I release, the pump comes on again for a few seconds. I never really noticed this before because I never smushed the pedal all the way down with the car off... I simply press it lightly and hit the power buttonm move into gear and I am off.

I am thinking this is normal operation. YMMV

Peter

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I find the same thing while it sits in the garage. Will do more testing tomorrow with it On and Off.

15. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I also think it's normal. Because of hillgrabber feature, there's a lot of travel in the pedal. I accidentally engaged the hillgrabber feature a couple of times when I first had the car, because I just kept pressing the pedal when I didn't feel total resistance. The pedal will go deep, and feels a little odd at first for that reason, but does need to go deep for normal operation.

16. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    When Prius brakes are operating normally, the brake pedal pushes only against a "stroke simulator", which is basically a piston on a spring. The stroke simulator doesn't harden up the same way normal brakes do. In other words, with normal brakes, as you push down you feel the brakes pressing against the disks or drums and the pedal gets hard. With the stroke simulator the pedal never does this until you get to the end of travel. It's a bit of a vague feeling.

In the event of power brake failure, the stroke simulator changes function and becomes a normal master cylinder, providing pressure for the front brakes.

Since this vagueness is subjective, we can't tell from the OP's description if this is normal operation or something else. I suggest comparing it to another Prius.

Tom

17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Good call! I'd read about it in the new car features but not really thought much about it. If it has become 'weak', the perception would be of the brake pedal going to the floor. But once the car is rolling, braking action would be normal.

To explain, when the braking function is in 'regeneration mode,' it is MG2 working as a generator, it is all electronic. The "stroke simulator" give the operator pressure feedback so it seems like a normal hydraulic brake even though regeneration is doing all of the work. In theory, a failed stroke simulator, one that is not providing enough resistance, would seem like the brake pedal was loose.

This should be something the toyota service center can quickly check but I have no idea of the repair effort.

Thanks!
    Bob Wilson

18. MaggieMay

MaggieMay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just curious - I certainly hear this sound and I read about the sound in the manual - but I don't really understand what an accumulator pump does (or is) and why it is associated with the braking system. ??

19. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The brake accumulator pump and accumulator (a small, high pressure storage tank) provides the power assist when using the hydraulic brakes. In an ordinary car, the engine is assumed to always be running so their power assist units run off of a belt turning pump or in older cars, a vacuum from the manifold. This is why "Pulse and Glide" is considered so hazardous with non-hybrid cars as the power steering and brakes can become weak with the engine off. But our Prius was designed to often turn off the engine yet still drive just as before.

If all power were lost in a Prius at high speed, the accumulator tank would still have enough pressure the power assist on the brakes would still work. It is also the reason why brake work at home should be done very, very carefully. Even with the car off, there is high pressure hydraulic fluid in the accumulator. Bleeding could be ... exciting.

Bob Wilson

20. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I suspect that if you pressed hard on the pedal when moving the pedal would have the same stroke except that the ABS would kick back at the pedal. When you're moving you only use light force on the pedal.