1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake problem approach

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Nov 30, 2018.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

The 03 Prius we gave to our house keeper two years ago has the brake problem. My wife and I visited her Thursday evening and it has all these gross symptoms. She reported a friend tried to "bleed the brakes" but to no effect. I plan to return Saturday or Sunday and do the following:
    1. 12V power-on reset to clear the codes and replicate the problem.
    2. Bring laptop with old TechStream and hopefully find the OBD connector I left with the car. Reading the codes will be trivial.
    3. Bring an OBD pig-tail with Ts and CG identified. This should make it easy to read the flash codes if we can't find the OBD-to-USB adapter.
    4. Use Vol 1 of the diagnostics manual to identify the likely failed part(s). I can not rule out the brake fluid having gotten too low from pad wear so I'll check them.
    I'll pickup a Harbor Freight, manual vacuum pump bleeding kit, $25:
    Brake Bleeder and Vacuum Pump Kit
    [​IMG]
    Even if we have to replace failed parts, we'll still need to bleed the brakes. Since I'll be checking the brake pads and shoes, reaching the individual bleed nipples should be easy enough. I'll bring a small, floor jack and jack stands.

Comments @ChapmanF , @ericbecky , @3prongpaul or others?

Bob Wilson

Prodigyplace likes this.
  2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    USB to obdii should be relatively inexpensive and can get fairly quick shipping.
    Nice of you to provide "after-the-sale" service.

3. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting that we have two brake threads going. My observation (very limited sample) is that it's the booster pump that gives up the ghost. I found one in a wrecking yard for chump change and had it on hand when I tackled the problem. The one on the car was DOA, wouldn't run during a bench test, so it was relatively easy to replace it with a known good one, bench tested. Then bleed the brakes. That cleared the abs code and brake function returned to optimum.

I used this bleeder, btw. Brake Fluid Bleeder

#3 Brian in Tucson, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Although I have a portable air pump, it is small and I'm not sure it is up to this task. I've got it in a storage shed and will bring it back to the house for another task.

Bob Wilson

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    No luck on bleeding the brakes. Worse, my Ts to CG jumper didn't flash the ABS codes but I had the door open. If there is a 'chicken dance', please share.

I've ordered a replacement TechStream and OBD cable.

Bob Wilson

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So I ran the new TechStream and this is what it reported for 'health'. Note there are no codes for the ABS:
    [​IMG]

TechStream reports the engine and hybrid codes.
    [​IMG]

All attempts to get the ABS codes failed with a popup showing a instruction failure. Fortunately, I had an OBS jumper setup to trigger the car to read out the codes:

• 51 - Brake booster pump failure
    • 52 - Motor ON time abnormal
    • 56 - Accumulator low pressure
    • 59 - Malfunction regeneration of HV ECU
    • 64 - Hydraulic failure
    Bob Wilson

#6 bwilson4web, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would guess most of those brake codes are telling you something real about the brake hydraulics, except for the 59. That one just means "hey, I'm the brake ECU, but the hybrid ECU told me something's wonky." That might be because of the P3101 code seen in Techstream, the only code showing for the hybrid ECU, except that one only means "hey, I'm the hybrid ECU, but the engine ECU told me something's wonky", and that no doubt refers to all of the misfire, etc., codes being shown for the engine.

So it seems like the car has some engine issues and some brake hydraulics issues. You've got a Volume I to look those up in, right?

-Chap

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yes.

There is a high-pitched squeal that does not sound like an alarm.

Bob Wilson

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Was the a Toyota TIS about the brake assembly with any sort of extended warranty?

Regardless, I need to use a 12V battery to test the motor but I'm pretty sure it is fubar. Reviewing the procedure. Now to find parts:
    • $99 - eBay
    • $345 - eBay with 3 mo warranty
    • $299 - Amazon used
    • $199 - new accumulator if motor works
    Bob Wilson

#9 bwilson4web, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  10. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I paid $24 for my brake booster pump at a pick and pull type wrecking yard. Pull a Part, they are in most of the south, you might see if they have any within easy driving distance, check other yards, too. Pull a Part has their inventory computerized, so they might be able to find you one. The misfires might be a matter of bad plugs or coils, MAF sensor, Maybe? the high pitched squeal is part of the ABS warning system. A hard brake pedal is a symptom. Don't know if you're interested, but the Pull a Part in Montgomery has an 02, been there a month and a half, but it might have parts you can use. Cash for Junk Cars & Used Parts: Pull-A-Part Auto Salvage

bwilson4web likes this.
  11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There is a high-pitched continuous tone alarm that sounds along with a select few of the brake system DTCs; there's a chart in volume I that says which ones will set it off.

12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There are at least 9, NHW11 Prius in Nashville and they quoted $25 for the part over the phone. I'll bring bring the owner, my wife, her dogs, tools and drive up on Saturday / Sunday. Pulling the part will be practice for pulling the part from her car.

Bob Wilson

Brian in Tucson likes this.
  13. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pulling the part helped me when I did mine.

14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I got the cowling cover, windshield wiper assembly, cowling cover off in 39F (4C) in a light drizzle. But dark arrived and my cell phone flashlight appears to have 'problems.' Worse, the brake booster is way down so measuring and testing the booster motor will have to wait another day.

We'll move the car into her garage later and setup a proper shop. Out of the wind, wet, and cold, the rest will be fairly easy. Once I confirm the motor is fubar, a trip to Nashville the next 'nice' day.

Speculation, I wonder if raising the car and dropping the booster pump may be the way to go? That avoids the heater core and A/C pipes.

Bob Wilson

15. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    nope, it comes out the top. you may need to evac (or let fly) the A/C gas. be sure to tape off the open ends with duct tape.

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A member, rlin78, wanted to avoid opening the A/C system, and worked out a way to do so. You can find his thread about it. IIRC, it did involve some access from below, and possibly separating pump from bracket in situ before removal. The price of avoiding A/C evac and recharge seemed to be increased labor time on the removal and replacement. Anyway, it's good to know it's possible.

For obvious reasons, please do not "let fly" the refrigerant.

17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Found it: abs brake light buzzer going off C1356 | PriusChat
    • jack up the passenger side
    • pull the passenger side tire
    • noddle it out
    This sounds like the best way to access the connectors for the brake test. I'll try it once the car is in her garage.

Bob Wilson

18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    With the cowling cover and windshield washer removed, this is what you see. Obviously there are coolant hoses and A/C hoses in the way:
    [​IMG]

So I took the suggestion and looked at taking it out from the wheel well. First a flimsy splash shield to remove:
    [​IMG]

Three 10 mm, sheet metal type screws and it folded away:
    [​IMG]

Looking up, I can the the back of the pump motor but there is plate held by two pairs of 10 mm bolts. Two I racheted loose but I forgot to bring my metric box wrenches:
    [​IMG]

I went to the top and discovered the two connectors:
    [​IMG]

Great, turning on the ignition I should see the B+ which measured 10.5V OMG!
    [​IMG]
    The motor pins are in a blind area so I'll have to figure out two custom jumpers to ohm it out. If within range, I'll have to apply 12V to see if the motor runs ... I wonder from where?

I've got to get the 12V battery back to normal voltages and retest the car. If a low battery caused this brew-haha, I'm going to kick my own nice person. I'll retighten the two loose bolts on the flat plate, put the car together, and get a replacement battery.

Bob Wilson

#18 bwilson4web, Dec 12, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  19. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    WHERE was @bisco to remind us about that, just when we needed him? (n)

bisco likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    observing the madness:cool:

bob, can't you run jumper cables to it?