1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

brake problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by johnson, Nov 4, 2008.

1. johnson

johnson New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hello, I am looking for a little help. The back brakes of my girlfriend's Prius have been making a growling or a kind of grinding sound off and on for the last year. Concerned I took the car to the dealership several times to have it looked at. Unfortunately as the grinding sound comes and goes it always went once we were at the dealership. They would still look at it though but could never find anything. I had assumed they were looking for regular problems, low break pads etc.. and so were missing the point. I don't think this is a regular break problem. And recently I have my confirmation of this! Now the brakes don't just growl and grind they growl and get stuck!, stuck on. When I press the gas pedal again after this stiicking on there is a loud and clear kunk! and the car moves,, only to grind to another sticking situation next complete stop and a loud kunk! and roll again. Some one please, I am not confident the dealership will find the problem again and am pretty sure someone else has had similar problems with so may cars sold. Much appreciating, Mike.

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mike, I suggest you take it to a different dealer. The brakes on a Prius are not a DIY item.

3. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Mike, if indeed your brakes act they way you describe .... I can't believe than ANY dealership would state that there isn't a problem. If this IS the case, please go to another dealer AND please state the name of said dealer so we all can avoid that dealership. :)

... Brad

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Could be a communication problem here: if the brakes commonly get wet before or while parking (that is, the car stays outdoors or is driven through water before parking) then the brakes are rusting into place. Sticking under those conditions is arguably "normal". If they stick that much each time it should be easy for a competent tech to see what's happening. So yeah, go to the same or another dealer, and have a detailed conversation with them.

5. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Johnson,

Welcome to PriusChat.

I would hope that the techs have already taken off the rear brake drums and
    looked for a pebble or other road debris caught there. That would be the
    simplest answer.

Even though it doesn't appear that you would be doing the work yourself, you
    should read this -- rear brake info at bottom -- as background for dealing
    with the techs you go to:

Brake service (Thank you again, Hobbit.)

Hope this helps.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah that sounds like a pretty easy to confirm brake issue. The back brakes are pretty standard except for the fact that if you open the brake fluid hydraulic system either front or rear you'll end up getting towed to the dealer. You cannot service the brake hydraulics without dealer equip.
    But just to confirm....on level ground with front wheels chocked and emergency brake off jack up the rear of the car and just turn the tires forward & reverse. Make sure e brake is off.They should have none to very little resistance. If you hearing grinding then back to the dealer.Don't take the wheel hub off though. Sometimes you can't get a hub back on without bleeding the brakes.
    If you are hearing grinding with this test tell the dealer what you did so they don't blow you off again. Maybe try another dealer.
    Good Luck. And please post mileage and if they are the original brakes.

7. johnson

johnson New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks you all, This forum is quite impressive! I don't want to post the dealers name yet because up until this issue they have been great. I am going to take it back again though and if necessary to another dealer. I don't think it is a pebble as it has been going on so long and I don't think it is rust either, we are often parked under carport and I would really hope the dealer would see that. I will post again to let all know how this concludes. I guess what I thought I was really looking for is to hear someone else who had this problem and that it was something unconventional prius brake related, like a prius "glitch".. maybe, maybe not.. I will update later again. A hearty Thank You!