1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

brake regen

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hoop, Nov 4, 2007.

1. hoop

hoop On The South Texas Coast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Keep me straight here, Brakes are obviously to slow or stop the car or keep it from creeping. But any time your foot is off the acelerator pedal you are regenerateing electricty as long as you are moving foward right? As long as you see the blue arrows going from the MG to the battery. Applying any further pressure to the brakes is only adding friction or mechanical stopping and not adding any more regen electricty to the batteries. For some reason I get the impression that some people are thinking the faster you stop the more electricty you are adding back to the batteries. Any other thoughts?

2. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius certainly does regenerate more when you push the brake pedal. Hobbit's guide states that it regenerates about 10A-20A of current with no pedals pressed. It'll regenerate up to 100A while braking.

But if you apply too much brake pressure, any excess stopping force above the 100A regeneration will come from the brake pads.

See http://www.techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/b-mode.html

3. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    "coasting" with the blue arrows moving towards the battery is regenerating or charging the battery. When you apply pressure to the brake pedal that also regenerates the battery, until you slow to 8 mph or less and at that point you are using your brake pads and no regen. At times you can even feel a slight grab when the brake pads take over.

the coasting with regen is what some Prius fans call "stealth mode". If you apply slight pressure to the gas pedal and the arrows to the battery stop, then you are in "hyper stealth". This is the state used in pulse and glide when you pulse up to 41 mph and then "glide" down to 30 mph or so.

Basically, the Prius recharges its hybrid battery in these two ways. Good luck, and try the pulse & glide and increase your mileage!! B) B)

4. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hoop @ Nov 4 2007, 08:34 AM) [snapback]534614[/snapback]</div>
    Hoop, just for clarification ...do you know that the friction brakes only become engaged when the vehicle slows to around 8mph or during a panic stopping?
    Gary

5. hoop

hoop On The South Texas Coast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So with the scan gage or can view , can you see the rate of charging current go up as you apply more pressure to the brakes? Can you see it qiut at < than about 7 mph? I dont have one is why I'm asking.

6. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hoop @ Nov 4 2007, 03:12 PM) [snapback]534699[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry Hoop I don't have either just know that you regenerate all the way down to approx 8 mph. I'm sure someone with the gauge can answer that.
    Gary

7. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hoop @ Nov 4 2007, 05:12 PM) [snapback]534699[/snapback]</div>

I can not get this info with the Scan Gauge II. Perhaps someone with the can view software can respond. B)

I think the best info you're gonna get on the state of charge is from the MFD, but I don't know about the can view.